PDA

View Full Version : The (Missouri) Waggoner-Zimmer's Baseball Game

Archive
05-05-2008, 07:43 PM
Posted By: <b>Steve Schreiber</b><p>Several weeks ago I reported to another message board the discovery of a Zimmer's Baseball Game...then known as the "Missouri" game. It was discovered at the Bingham-Waggoner Estate in Independence, Missouri. We at the estate have been tracking the Murphy Brook's game in the REA auction to see what the market is, but recently we have secured a written appraisal, put the game in the bank, will be seeking newspaper coverage for our story, and finally plan to show the game during the month of June in our Victorian house as a special attraction.<br /><br />Most interesting are the two wooden game balls found with the game, which I believe to be authentic, and also three wooden tokens found with the game which I have been calling "baserunner tokens". Dr. Cooper and Tom Shieber have both said there has never been credible evidence that baserunner tokens were ever part of the accessories of this game...and I have sent pics to Tom Shieber who wanted to do some more research on them.<br /><br />The day after we discovered how rare the game was, I found the lid cover in a dark attic space on the third floor of the house. The game itself was found under piles of broken furniture, Christmas decorations, and other household goods. Unfortunately, the wooden spring-loaded pitching plunger was missing, but everything else is in tiptop shape!<br /><br />The Zimmer's is important to us not just for the rarity factor, but because we know who bought the game, for whom, and where it has been for 115 years. It is part of the Waggoner family tradition in Independence.<br /><br />While we have a duty as an historical society to commemorate and share a family possession with our community, financial considerations must ultimately override all else at a certain point, and healthy tax-deductible<br />donations to the Bingham-Waggoner Endowment Fund in exchange for the game will be considered.<br /><br />Let me extend an invitation to all of you collectors who may be traveling in the Kansas City/Independence, Missouri area this coming June to visit us and I will personally give you a tour of our fabulous Victorian home and a looksee at the Zimmer! <br /><br />I hope I will be able to transfer the pics to you.<br /><br />Steve Schreiber<br /><br /><br /><br /><br />