PDA

View Full Version : Mathewson Signature? Cabinet Card from REA

Archive
03-25-2008, 09:56 AM
Posted By: <b>Jon Canfield</b><p>When I was looking at this lot, I couldn't help put think the writing on the back looks very similar to Mathewson's signature. I know the REA auction description states that their authenticators say it is not Mathewson's signature but I was curious what the experts on the Board thing (calling Jodi and Richard!).<br /><br />(FYI - I have no interest and bidding on the card nor do I own the card.)<br /><br /><a href="http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/bidplace.aspx?itemid=9939" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/bidplace.aspx?itemid=9939</a>

Archive
03-25-2008, 10:21 AM
Posted By: <b>George Dreher</b><p>Someone was goofing around and tried to sign the back like Matty. It is a bad attempt, beginning with the capital "M" which has its maximum height on the wrong hump.

Archive
03-25-2008, 11:25 AM
Posted By: <b>Jodi Birkholm</b><p>If anyone cares, I'm fairly certain that the signature of Red Ames is in fact valid. I have a few examples of his signature in my files, but that material is several hundred miles from me at this time. I would like to give my files a once-over to be definite, but that is currently an impossibility.<br /><br />

Archive
03-25-2008, 11:34 AM
Posted By: <b>Jon Canfield</b><p>Interesting Jodi. I actually never even glanced at the Ames signature above the Mathewson!

Archive
03-25-2008, 06:05 PM
Posted By: <b>Richard S. Simon</b><p>Looks to me like it is a bad attempt to forge Mathewson's signature. Obviously REA is not selling it as a signature of Mathewson, but it does have some rough resemblances to an authentic Mathewson. And the sticker seems to read "authentication". Certainly looks like a poor attempt at a forgery with a bogus authentication.<br />--<br><br>I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.<br />Unknown author <br />--<br />We made a promise. We swore we'd always remember.<br />No retreat baby, no surrender.<br />The Boss

Archive
03-29-2008, 01:13 PM
Posted By: <b>Rhys</b><p>Jodi is right. The signature of Ames looks to be authentic. I used to own a cut from one of his contracts and it looks dead on to me. I can probably post a picture when I get home from vacation.<br /><br />Rhys

Archive
03-29-2008, 09:34 PM
Posted By: <b>Tom Boblitt</b><p>sure....but I think this cabinet was previously authenticated and sold as originally autographed by Mathewson OR.......there was another Jones Keyser Arras autographed cabinet by Mathewson sold. It's been a while.......