PDA

View Full Version : 1948 NAPBL photo

Archive
02-20-2008, 11:48 AM
Posted By: <b>Jerry Rucker</b><p>I won this on ebay the other day, I haven't recieved it yet. I realize this is a minor league meeting but I was hoping to find a few familar faces in the crowd. Can you recognize anybody from the blurry scans in the auction?<br /><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360022417581&ssPageName=ADME:B:BCA:US:1123" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360022417581&ssPageName=ADME:B:BCA:US:1123</a>

Archive
02-20-2008, 12:00 PM
Posted By: <b>Steve Murray</b><p>There's Waldo!!!!

Archive
02-20-2008, 12:15 PM
Posted By: <b>Dan Bretta</b><p>I don't see anyone recognizable right off the bat just from looking at the auction, but looks like mostly old dudes, most likely owners and GM's from most of the minor league teams in 1948.

Archive
02-20-2008, 05:16 PM
Posted By: <b>bobw</b><p>Thats a cool photo. When you receive it ,you should post some clear photos and we can have some fun trying to recognize anyone. <br /><br />Like Dan said , probably execs and GMs.<br /><br />Here's an AP article from the meetings:<br /><br />Trades Of Majors Hog Spotlight At Minor Loop Meet<br /><br />By JOE REICHLER<br />MINNEAPOLIS, Minn., Dec. 8. AP)<br /><br />Today was the official opening of the forty seventh annual minor league convention, but as usual, it was the majors who hogged the spotlight, as far as any important baseball news was concerned.<br />Trade rumors here in the lobby of the Nicollet Hotel flew thicker than the snow flakes which blanketed the streets outside. Out of all this potpourri emerged several deals which smacked of authenticity. One or two are almost cerain of being completed before the magnates move on to Chicago for the big league meetings next week. The others probably will be announced<br />in the Windy City.<br />A member of the official family of the New York Giants said he expected to announce a "big trade before the day is over. Although he refused to say who or what club was involved, he promised a pretty good story."<br /><br />Cooper, Mlze On Block<br /><br />It is known that Manager Leo Durocher is eager to palm off his big catcher, Walker Cooper, and his slugging first baseman, Johnny Mize. Bob Hannegan. president of the St. Louis Cardinals, is openly nterested in Cooper, especially if the latter's knee operation proves a success. Pitchers Red Munger and Murry Dickson figure prominently in such a deal.<br />General Manager Frank Lane of the rebuilding Chicago White Sox. The busiest "David Harum" of the big leagues thus far —he has already completed four deals with rival major league clubs —said he was hopeful of closing a couple of deals for third baseman Bob Dillinger of the St. Louis Browns and first baseman Eddie Robinson of the Cleveland Indians.<br />I talked with Billy Dewitt (general manager of the Browns) over long distance telephone several days ago, the live wire White Sox official said last night. "I asked him if he would set a price on Dillinger. He replied 'yes, $100,000 and three players.<br />"Hardly-before the last word was out of his mind, I said okay on the dough, now what players do you have in mind?' He named our centerfielder. Dave Philley. I asked "who else?' Instead of answering he said he'd discuss it with me in person tomorrow. So here I am. If he doesn't ask for too much, you can expect Dillinger to wear a White Sox uniform next season.<br /><br />Veeck Is Encouraging<br /><br />Lane said he had talked with Bill Veeck, owner of the Cleveland Indians, on the possibilities of acquiring Robinson. "Bill told me Robby can be had," Lane said. I don't know whom he would demand from me in exchange for Robinson. Lane also disclosed that he had made overtures for third baseman Billy Johnson, first baseman Steve Souchock and pitcher Allie Reynolds of the New York YanKees.<br />

Archive
02-20-2008, 06:33 PM
Posted By: <b>Dan Bretta</b><p>I would not be surprised if Connie Mack is hidden somewhere in that photo. He owned all of the Athletics minor league clubs in 1948.