PDA

View Full Version : 1901 boston college team photo

Archive
02-12-2008, 09:21 PM
Posted By: <b>anthony</b><p>can someone refer me to a football guru for the following evaluation?<br /><br />my friend/co-worker, who has the autograph book, has the only known team photo (approx 18" x 24") of the boston college football team dated 1901. when he took it to boston college back in 2001 the athletic director begged him for it. stating that they have researched for at least the 20+ years he had been there, looking for that year. they have every other year except 1901. <br /><br />any thoughts to value? or at least can someone direct me to someone who may know? thanks!<br /><br />by the way, there are 2 black players on the team which apparently was very rare or odd for the time.<br /><br />i requested a photo to share...

Archive
02-13-2008, 11:38 AM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>I would normally guess about a couple hundred if in nice condition. It would only be more, perhaps double, with black players. It's large, so that makes it scarce and valuable. Something that large was intended to be displayed somewhere. Due to its size and age, it may indeed be unique. Old large display photos of any team are often unique, as only a few were originally made and most were lost or destroyed over time. Typically, a college team photo this size was made to be displayed in the school or such, or given to a player or coach. They weren't something available to the general public. I'd say there's a good chance this photo was either displayed at Boston College or belonged to a team member.

Archive
02-13-2008, 04:22 PM
Posted By: <b>Phil</b><p>Obviously a photo will tell us a lot more, but I would agree that you are somewhere around $200.00.<br /><br />Price would depend on whether the photo is framed and if yes, is it the original frame or from that period? If it is matted, depends on the condition of the matting. Overall quality of the print itself.<br /><br />Post a photo when you get a chance and I/we can tell a lot more.

Archive
02-13-2008, 08:54 PM
Posted By: <b>anthony</b><p>i'm working on a photo...as for the frame his grandfather made the frame back in the 30's so not quite "period" but old. and yes there were 2 black players from his description of the photo.

Archive
02-15-2008, 08:11 AM
Posted By: <b>Phil</b><p>No photo yet? I'm looking forward to seeing it and giving you a better idea of value.