PDA

View Full Version : 5 Glass Lantern Slides on Ebay - Comments?

Archive
12-29-2007, 09:09 AM
Posted By: <b>Joann</b><p><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370004133004" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370004133004</a><br /><br />I had these on my Watchlist and was dying for the auction to end so I could ask about it.<br /><br />Any thoughts or comments? I don't know much about lantern slides (OK, I don't know ANYTHING about lantern slides), so is this a normal price for 5, or a normal price for 5 with a baseball theme?<br /><br />Or was there something unusual in play in this auction? Condition? People in the slides? The only known Reach lantern slide?<br /><br />J<br /><br />(Tried to make the link shorter for screen-wrap purposes. I'll edit if it doesn't work.)

Archive
12-29-2007, 10:28 AM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>I have seen these before, but unfortunately don't know what is a fair value. You have to assume since they were made of glass very few of them survived. They are beautiful images.

Archive
12-29-2007, 10:55 AM
Posted By: <b>Dan Bretta</b><p>I'd say that's a good price for those slides...Not that I would have gone that high, but these completely slipped past me in a category that I normally search. Those are outstanding and I've not seen colorized glass slides of baseball from that era before. The Reach advertising slide is very cool.

Archive
12-29-2007, 11:05 AM
Posted By: <b>Joann</b><p>@#%#@$%!!! Dang it Dan. I would have emailed you absolutely if I'd known you were interested - it would have been a chance to repay the favor of the many times you've alerted me to something I'd be interested in.<br /><br />Not only that, but don't like outing auctions so I impatiently waited for it to close before I said anything. I guess that's another side of outing auctions I hadn't considered.<br /><br />When I saw it I wondered if maybe there was someone significant in the mix, or maybe a game of significance.<br /><br />I thought they were beautiful too, but had no idea of where they would fall price wise.<br /><br />Joann

Archive
12-29-2007, 11:16 AM
Posted By: <b>Dan Bretta</b><p>I wouldn't have bid that high on them anyway Joann so no big deal...The player is a Giants player but I don't recognize his face right off hand...also can't identify the batter. I think the park in the wide angle shot might be West Side Park in Chicago.

Archive
12-29-2007, 11:36 AM
Posted By: <b>Joann</b><p>Someone emailed me thinking it was Joe McGinnity, but I ahven't had a chance to look up a picture to compare yet.<br /><br />When I first saw the auction, I thought the single player might be "somebody" if for no other reason than that the image was so artfully and carefully presented they would have tried to do more than get a model in a uniform, or local sandlot player.<br /><br />At $700 this went for about $140 per. Is that even close? Was the Reach panel more significant than the others? <br /><br />I'm actually not all that interested in value or money (although I had considered bidding so getting a sense of that is helpful too). I'm framing the question as a money question but am really asking if one panel was more or less significant.<br /><br />J

Archive
12-29-2007, 11:53 AM
Posted By: <b>Dan Bretta</b><p>I believe the slide of the NY player, the shot of the batter/catcher/umpire and the Reach advertising made this lot easily worth what it sold for. It's hard to analyze though because ebay makes it impossible to tell who the underbidders are you can't analyze their bidding patterns to see if perhaps it was two guys who collect Reach items, two NY Giants fans, or what...Either way it was a fantastic lot of images.

Archive
12-29-2007, 12:02 PM
Posted By: <b>Jerry Rucker</b><p>I recently sold a 1914 Glass slide advertising a silent movie of Home Run Baker. Baker was on the slide in uniform. I think I got 275.00 for it. I think these slides went reasonabily, especially if the players can be identified. Hope this helps.<br />Jerry

Archive
12-29-2007, 12:26 PM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>The price seemed fair. All baseball glass negatives are rare, and I've never seen that Reach before. It may be unique.