PDA

View Full Version : how big

Archive
10-03-2007, 08:36 PM
Posted By: <b>jeremy</b><p>its 2 feet by 1.5 feet in perfect condition in an old picture frame its definately original and has the names of the players listed on back---but like i said--the guys are dressed in formal clothes not in uniforms

Archive
10-03-2007, 08:39 PM
Posted By: <b>Jimmy Leiderman</b><p>names please?

Archive
10-03-2007, 08:43 PM
Posted By: <b>Jason Mishelow</b><p>There are others on the board who can correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think that 2X1.5 was possible in 1862. So unless its a composite it has to be more modern <br /><br /><br /><br />Edited to add- Per Peverelly the knicks did not play any games in 62 though they did play in 63

Archive
10-03-2007, 08:44 PM
Posted By: <b>jeremy</b><p>curry,avery,anthony,tucker,adams,hard to read but looks like duposte ,birney,nigol? and the rest are unreadable--but ten people total

Archive
10-03-2007, 09:02 PM
Posted By: <b>ramram</b><p>I agree...I don't believe a 2' x 1.5' albumen image was possible in 1862.<br /><br />Rob M.

Archive
10-03-2007, 09:05 PM
Posted By: <b>jeremy</b><p>the frame is that size---the picture is a few inches smaller

Archive
10-03-2007, 09:13 PM
Posted By: <b>ramram</b><p>Does the image appear to be on a thin piece of paper that is pasted to a thicker mount (cardboard backing)?<br /><br />Rob M.<br /><br />P.S. You should keep all of your posts on one thread rather than starting new threads. Everybody can follow along better that way.

Archive
10-03-2007, 09:15 PM
Posted By: <b>jeremy</b><p>i havent taken it out of the frame so i dont know--i do know that the guy from rea was pretty excited about it

Archive
10-03-2007, 09:20 PM
Posted By: <b>Jimmy Leiderman</b><p>Jeremy, didn't REA give you a price estimate?

Archive
10-03-2007, 09:24 PM
Posted By: <b>jeremy</b><p>he said its definately five figures but i couldnt get any ballpark numbers out of him---five figures is pretty broad

Archive
10-03-2007, 09:34 PM
Posted By: <b>Dan Bretta</b><p>Has REA (Rob) seen it? Or did you just describe it to him?

Archive
10-03-2007, 09:34 PM
Posted By: <b>ramram</b><p>If you can at least show us a photo of just a small portion we may be able to tell you more. Taking a devil's advocate point of view, I still have a problem with the size and the names. Is there any other writing? Does anything say "Knickerbocker" on the image? How about a photographer's name?<br /><br />Have you looked at the image with a magnifying glass? If so, what do you see?<br /><br />Rob M.

Archive
10-03-2007, 09:36 PM
Posted By: <b>jeremy</b><p>he saw it and when i didnt give it up to him for auction he said i was the first person to come to him with something like this and not leave it behind

Archive
10-03-2007, 09:39 PM
Posted By: <b>Dan Bretta</b><p>So 5 hours ago you came to the board to ask us if it was "ok to take it to an auction house" and now you're telling us that you've already taken it to REA? I'm confused.

Archive
10-03-2007, 09:40 PM
Posted By: <b>jeremy</b><p>it is a photograph that has been touched up by an artist the back says december 1862 lists the names of the people in the picture and in very light pencil it says knickerbocker base ball club---then i think it says west members

Archive
10-03-2007, 09:41 PM
Posted By: <b>jeremy</b><p>i want to know if its ok to give it to the auction house---or if there is abetter way to sell it

Archive
10-03-2007, 09:45 PM
Posted By: <b>Dan Bretta</b><p>If Rob Lifson wants it in his next REA auction then you couldn't find a better venue to sell it. <br /><br />The only drawback that I see to that is if you are wanting the money now the auction isn't until next April. REA does give cash advances though, but it may be difficult to discern what a photo of that importance would bring.

Archive
10-03-2007, 09:47 PM
Posted By: <b>jeremy</b><p>im going to bed but you guys will probably see what im talking about---keep your eyes open for the picture in the next rea auction i think its in april

Archive
10-03-2007, 09:47 PM
Posted By: <b>ramram</b><p>Jimmy L. may actually be right when he says muffin nine (lower level teams within the social club). These clubs had many members and it doesn't sound like this is the top team (although the Knickerbockers chose to remain more of a social club than to become a competitive team like many other teams did throughout the 1860's). <br /><br />I'd say send it to auction. That's the only way for it to be accepted as the real deal. We can't help very much without seeing it.<br /><br />Rob M.

Archive
10-04-2007, 05:13 AM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>Jeremy- you have three different threads going on the same topic.<br /><br />You probably have a salt print, not an albumen photograph. And I think you could make a lot more money selling it privately than going the auction route. You should get a second opinion. As I mentioned in another of the many threads here, please contact me at bsloate@att.net. I would like to discuss this with you. Thank you, Barry Sloate