PDA

View Full Version : Babe Ruth Ball?

Archive
08-21-2007, 11:46 AM
Posted By: <b>Paul Grubor</b><p>OK here's the deal. I have a chance to purchase a Babe Ruth autographed ball but I need an estimate on what is a fair price. The ball is a rubberized practice ball (white and hard) dated between 1925 and 1929. The ball was purchased by this seller in the early 80's and comes with a coa from Heritage Stamps and Coins. The ink is blue and its personalized...To Bob Washer from Babe Ruth. By todays standards the sig. would rate an 8 or 9 on a scale of 1 to 10. <br /><br />What is the ball worth, and what is a fair price to pay?<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Paul

Archive
08-21-2007, 11:54 AM
Posted By: <b>Dan Bretta</b><p>I'm not sure what a good price would be, but it would be less than if it were on a real baseball, and probably about the same as what a Ruth cut signature would be worth. Not sure what those are going for these days, $2,000+ range for an 8? Anyone can feel free to correct me.

Archive
08-21-2007, 12:41 PM
Posted By: <b>David Atkatz</b><p>The value is diminished because it's not a "real" baseball (OAL balls are the most desired), and it is personalized.<br />So the most important attribute left is eye appeal. How badly has the rubber yellowed? Can you post a photo? I have bought and sold many Ruth balls--with a photo I should be able to give a reasonably accurate estimate.<br />(Nice Ruth cuts are in the $3k range these days.)

Archive
08-21-2007, 01:36 PM
Posted By: <b>boxingbaseballgolf33</b><p>I would say around $2,000 as well becuase the ball is personalized and on a practice type ball - Reach, Spalding and official MLB go for more money. If you do get a PSA grade of 8 with that ball it would be worth at least 10,000 -does depend what the condition of the ball is in as well - they take the avg for the condition of signature and condition of the ball. If you had a photo it would help more but I really would not pay more than 2K<br /><br />Jimmy<br /><br />Jimmy

Archive
08-21-2007, 03:15 PM
Posted By: <b>Paul Grubor</b><p>I'm meeting the gentleman this Friday and want to make a fair offer. I'm going to offer 1500 if the ball is white or off white but not yellowed. It sounds like the signature is really nice with dark blue ink. Thanks for all your help and if I buy it this Friday I'll post a picture.<br /><br />Paul