PDA

View Full Version : 19th Century Books with baseball topics or woodcuts

Archive
05-08-2007, 06:24 PM
Posted By: <b>Anonymous</b><p>David Block put out a great book called "Baseball before we knew it" which contains a bibliography of pre-1860 books that metion baseball or baseball like games. over the past year I have used such as a checklist for collecting early mentions or baseball or pre-baseball like games like trap ball and tip cat. It has been a rewarding exersise as I am able to buy a number of items at fairly low prices. There is alot of material out there- some in sort of out of the way areas like children's chapbooks and text books which contain some of the first images.derscriptions of the game we now know of as baseball. I am writting this post to see if others have found other eariler references- I am really thinking pre-1890. I have been able to get copies of alot of the better known items i.e. The Fairport Nine, Cahning Base, Boy's Own Book ect but there must be more out there. As soon as I figure out how to work mmy scaner I will try tp post some pictures- but in the meantime I would love to see if anyone out there has anything to share

Archive
05-08-2007, 06:31 PM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>I just started a book related thread, but I don't know how to scan. The engravings in David's book are quite comprehensive and a very valuable reference tool.

Archive
05-09-2007, 03:11 PM
Posted By: <b>mr. moses</b><p>er um Barry..... You need a scanner. Please tell me you don't have one (cost prohibitive in the 50$ range and I think it will water your plants as well). If you have one; well I for one wouldn't like to think about the implications.... I DO look forward to reading about books having to do with the early game but I REALLY would like you to contribute in the area of early PHOTOGRAPHS. I know all about the processes but can't afford the time to go beyond my Fogel and Rucker books nor the $$ for the acquisitions. Too many other things and so little time.....<br />friendly,<br />henry

Archive
05-09-2007, 03:17 PM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>I do have a scanner, but my wife scans for me. We work together when she has the time. How else could I sell on ebay?