PDA

View Full Version : Signed Checks from HOFers

Archive
09-28-2004, 05:13 PM
Posted By: <b>Josh</b><p>After looking on Ebay at how high those cuto autos of Ruth, Gehrig, Cobb, etc. go for, I was wondering, isn't it possible to purchase a signed check from these players for a great deal less? The cards issued by Donruss, Topps, and UD go for upwards of $8,000.00. Do signed checks of such players go for any less? <br />And second, does anyone know of any reputable dealers that carry such items? <br /><br />Thanks, <br />Josh A.<br><br>"I had a better year." <br />Babe Ruth, on why he got paid more than the President of the United States.

Archive
09-28-2004, 05:22 PM
Posted By: <b>hankron</b><p>Bank checks of the HOFers you mentioned and many others are on the market with some regularity. <br /><br />Mike Gutierrez has an autograph auction going on right now at <a href="http://mgauction.net" target=_new>http://mgauction.net</a> For baseball autoraphs, there's none more reputable than Gutierrez.

Archive
09-28-2004, 05:30 PM
Posted By: <b>Rob L</b><p>Cobb checks come up often on eBay. They typically go for about $700 - $750. Ruth checks come up ocassionally also and go for around $ 2,500. Definitely less than those crappy cards with cut check signatures.

Archive
09-28-2004, 06:05 PM
Posted By: <b>Josh</b><p>Thanks guys. Hank, you always have valuable knowledge. I appreciate both of your help.

Archive
09-28-2004, 06:43 PM
Posted By: <b>brian p</b><p>Probably the wisest policy to follow is to never accept signed checks from HOFers. I suggest that you instead request that HOFers either send you a money order or cashiers check.<br /><br />Brian (thankfully you had a couple of other non-wiseass answers)

Archive
09-29-2004, 06:21 AM
Posted By: <b>Tom Boblitt</b><p>of HOFer checks. 69 different to be exact! I can't seem to get ahold of a Ruth or Johnson lately because the prices have been SKYROCKETING.......I have a Cobb I paid $700 for at last year's national but they're now going for $900-$1000 or so. I got a Wagner at this year's national and they're in the $1300-$1500 range lately. Go to the autographs-original category on ebay and set up a search for 'check' and you'll see them. The Ruth's seem to be going for upwards of $3000-$3500 now. Remember when I could have gotten one for $1000 (of course, I wasn't collecting them then.....). Also have Lazzeri, Cochrane, Weiss, Hartnett, Hubbard, Cronin, Day, Frisch and many more. Also have a lot of non-HOFers like Moe Berg and others. GREAT way to collect autographs. FORGET the cut cards from Upper Deck......although they do seem to be holding their value.....I have quite a few duplicates on checks but not of the Ruth's, Cobbs...........

Archive
09-29-2004, 09:14 AM
Posted By: <b>Richard Masson</b><p>I still have a stack of Carl Hubbell gas charge receipts I had him send me when I was a kid. I couldn't get anyone else to send some.

Archive
09-29-2004, 04:36 PM
Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>much more interesting. The only check I've got is a Lefty O'Doul.