PDA

View Full Version : 1933 Goudey Ruth #53

Archive
09-19-2004, 09:24 PM
Posted By: <b>BrianKav</b><p>I recently went through my card collection that I have accumulated for many years as a hobby, from shows, relatives etc. and I found a 1933 Goudey #53 Babe Ruth. I am very excited......but I want to know if there is a way that I can distinguish if it is an original or a reprint. Thanks for any input..........

Archive
09-19-2004, 09:56 PM
Posted By: <b>brian p</b><p>The nicest improvement to this site from a few months ago was the search feature. Here is a thread I came across when I typed in 'Goudey reprints' that give plenty of info on this subject. There was another one as well in 2002 by fkw (Frank) that was also good. To make things complete, perhaps someone can also provide a visual comparision between an authentic and reprint Goudey.<br /><br /><a href="http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=153652&messageid=1075748716" target=_new>http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=153652&messageid=1075748716</a><br /><br />Brian<br />

Archive
09-19-2004, 10:34 PM
Posted By: <b>BrianKav</b><p>Thanks for your response Brian. It sure is helpful for me, someone who is not an "expert" by any means......any info and any hints help.........just very curious and ecxited to find out the truth behind the card that I have.....

Archive
09-20-2004, 11:57 AM
Posted By: <b>Brian</b><p>It is also laminated.....does that mean anything?????

Archive
09-20-2004, 12:08 PM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>Would devalue the card very substantially.

Archive
09-20-2004, 01:10 PM
Posted By: <b>hankron</b><p>Lamination makes things tricky, and likely will mean you will want to get someone knowledgeable to look at it in person.<br /><br />Under a microsocope, modern lithograph or computer reprints of most 19th and early 20th century baseball items (including 1933 Babe Ruth Goudeys) are quickly identified by the modern multi-color pattern ink dots (cyan, yellow, magenta, black(. This multi-color pattern will be just like on a modern trading card, picture postcard and the Grand Canyon postcard you just got from aunt Carla.<br /><br />If you take a microscope to cover of the closest 2004 magazine, you will be seeing what a reprint of a 1933 Goudey Ruth, T206 Honus Wagner, 1880s Allen & Ginter poster or 1874 Boston Bostons tobacco label looks like.<br />

Archive
09-20-2004, 05:38 PM
Posted By: <b>steve k</b><p>Do what I did when first starting to collect 1933 Goudeys. Buy some lower grade commons from a reputable dealer. Chances are virtually 100% that they will be real. Then you can compare them to higher priced cards such as a Ruth or Gehrig. You could also go to a local card shop or a show and look at a number of them with a 16x magnifying glass to get a good feel about authenticity. Remember to also look at the backs of the cards for clues about authenticity. As far as lamination, unfortunately that makes it a near worthless card.

Archive
09-20-2004, 05:53 PM
Posted By: <b>Reid Bruce</b><p>While sitting here thinking about it, I think I remember a process that is used by document conservators to remove lamination. It depends on the type of lamination used and I don't remember the process, but for a high priced card, I would think it might be worth looking into. Anyone else heard of this?

Archive
09-20-2004, 06:30 PM
Posted By: <b>Tim M</b><p>I am by no means an expert, but I have found that most times lamination is used to hide something, so I personally shy away from purchasing cards with lamination,,,,can you scan us a picture?<br /><br />good luck by the way...

Archive
09-20-2004, 07:38 PM
Posted By: <b>Anonymous</b><p>Thanks for all the input.....all of you are really helpful to me, it is so interesting and exciting. I am at work right now, but I will try and get a scan of the card and put it up later today or the next day.......

Archive
09-24-2004, 07:18 PM
Posted By: <b>Brian</b><p>I can not bring the card up on this website after I scan it. But, if anyone is interested in seeing it and giving any input, feel free to email me and I will send you the scanned card........

Archive
09-24-2004, 07:19 PM
Posted By: <b>Brian</b><p>sorry, here is the email.....<br /><br />bk4u98@yahoo.com