PDA

View Full Version : Dating the Peck & Snyder "Creighton" Card

Archive
09-23-2004, 01:14 PM
Posted By: <b>ramram&nbsp; </b><p>I know there have been questions and commentaries in the past as to whether Peck & Snyder's James Creighton "Card" was actually the first baseball card. Varying dates have placed this card (aka cdv, aka trade card) between 1863 & 1868. My question is - Does this card have a "Peck & Snyder" advertisement on the back? Andrew Peck had his own sporting goods company apparently up until at least 1867 as the last page of the 1867 Beadle's Dime Guide has an ad for the "Andrew Peck & Co., 105 Nassau Street, N.Y." store. If Snyder did not join until after this time, and if the Creighton card has an ad on the back for "Peck & Snyder", then the Creighton card would obviously be from some time later than 1867. It might be fitting that it was 1868 since this was the same time that Peck & Snyder produced the 1868 Atlantics team card. I know that the Peck & Snyder topic was heavily covered before but did anybody ever determine when Snyder joined Peck? Any conflicting testimony?<br /><br />Rob M.<br /><br />I made a post in another thread that didn't fit in well so I'm reposting in this new thread.<br />

Archive
09-23-2004, 06:20 PM
Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>Or was it a rival company? Did the first company continue operating after the second was formed?

Archive
09-24-2004, 05:05 AM
Posted By: <b>Jason</b><p>Hi Rob M,<br /><br />I can't comment too much on this subject but while I was researching the C&I BBBE CDV, I came across the guy who owns the Creighton. He confirmed to me that it does have the Peck & Snyder advertising on the back. Hope this helps.<br /><br />Regards<br /><br />Jason<br />

Archive
09-24-2004, 08:32 AM
Posted By: <b>Hal Lewis</b><p>What ADDRESS is on the back of the card for Peck & Snyder??<br /><br />PLEASE find out!!!<br /><br />Although I am guessing it is the early 105 Nassau Street address ... it would be VERY important if it was either 22 Ann Street or 126 Nassau Street. <br /><br />THANKS!!

Archive
09-24-2004, 11:43 AM
Posted By: <b>ramram</b><p>If the Creighton card has the Peck "& SNYDER" ad on the back then I think that would strongly place it post 1867. I would think the odds of it being in business at the same time as Andrew Peck & Co. would be extremely small considering that they were both at the same address. It would definitely be interesting to know the address associated with the ad on the Creighton card.<br /><br />The 1867 Beadle's Guide has some examples listed for scoring purposes. They use Creighton as the pitcher. Obviously, even several years after his death he was still an important person in the base ball community. Probably, the first "Babe Ruth" of his time.<br /><br />Rob