PDA

View Full Version : Good Vintage Card Shops in Los Angeles Area?

Archive
09-18-2004, 12:32 PM
Posted By: <b>Gary B.</b><p>Are there any card shops in the Los Angeles area that has at least some selection of vintage cards?<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Gary

Archive
09-18-2004, 05:41 PM
Posted By: <b>ErikV</b><p><br /> Gary,<br /><br /> There's a few that come to mind. The first is in Orange County...Laguna Niguel to be exact, SportsCardsPlus. (Visit their website at www.SportsCardsPlus.com.) <br /><br /> The second is Porky's in North Hollywood off the 101 Freeway. I don't think they have a website, but here's their phone number, (818) 760-3800. <br /><br /> Next is Burbank Sportscards. Their website is www.BurbankSportscards.com.<br /> <br /> I'd be interested in other board members input on this topic as well.<br />

Archive
09-18-2004, 07:03 PM
Posted By: <b>J Levine</b><p>Few and far between but here they are...<br /><br />Sportscards plus in Laguna is one of the better ones...nice selection and every now and then a very good bargain to be found.<br /><br />Beverly Hills Baseball Card Shop in Beverly Hills...not a bad shop...fun to look through with some pre-war and vintage. A little high on the price side but not Mike Wheat high.<br /><br />Burbank Sportscards located in Burbank...my favorite...a little light on pre-war stuff but is ultra organized. I would be surprised if they could not find something from 1948-present. Price wise a little high but not too bad considering the selection and organization.<br /><br />Valley Baseball Card Shop located in West Hills/Tarzana...one of the oldest shops in the Valley...fairly knowledgeable owner with a small selection of pre-war and odd ball vintage...a lot of stuff hidden in the back. Bargains to be had here but it takes some searching.<br /><br />Porky's...located in Valley Village...the closest shop I never visit...the owner is a shill and works for tuff stuff...what ever is in his store seems to rise in price in that magazine. Thinks grading is for suckers and never goes below 75% of beckett...some pre-war but expect to pay for it. Customer service is lacking...I would avoid...<br /><br />Not sure if it is still open but in Costa Mesa there was a shop called Whiz Kids that had a decent selection and some service.<br /><br />There are a few other shops around town that carry only newer items...there is one or two places in the Claremont/Garden Grove area but I can not remember their names that have some vintage stuff.<br /><br />Dont forget that David Levin lives in Los Angeles and currently there is no better place for Old Judges...he can be reached through his website...www.gfg.com/baseball<br />Hope this helps...<br /><br />Joshua

Archive
09-18-2004, 09:55 PM
Posted By: <b>David Vargha</b><p>Is a waste of time IMO.<br><br>DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Archive
09-18-2004, 10:52 PM
Posted By: <b>Anthony</b><p>Here's a rundown from another board-<br /><a href="http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=37&threadid=302201&highlight_key=y&keyword1=card%20shop" target=_new>http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=37&threadid=302201&highlight_key=y&keyword1=card%20shop</a><br /><br />If you go to the second page and read the poster "scumbi's" 3rd post it is hysterically spot on.<br />It's not quite as much fun, but ebay at any given moment has the sum total of all those stores beat.<br />

Archive
09-19-2004, 08:37 AM
Posted By: <b>Gary B.</b><p>Thanks guys, and thanks Anthony for the link to that other thread - it was quite illuminating.<br /><br />I have been in the Burbank store (found it quite by accident), but unfortunately before I really got back into collecting.<br /><br />I do know, especially having spent time recently in card shops and shows that you pretty much have to go to ebay to get good deals and selection, but I just miss the old-fashioned aspect of being able to go and see cards in person.<br /><br />There are two card shops where I live, one of which has a tiny vintage selection, and one that has a decent vintage selection (well, they've got a little anyway) that's hideously over-priced. It's always a painful experience when I go in there - a nice guy who runs the place, some nice looking cards, but the guy is just completely out of touch with reality. Ask him the price on anything (most cards are not marked with drives me up the wall) and he goes into the back to consult his price guide and will always be willing to go lower than what he thinks it's worth. Trouble is - he'll say $50, but i'll go $45 or even $40 - I know for a fact however that card in that condition sells for $10-$15 on ebay regularly. He had a bunch of 1940/1941 Playball commons in very poor condition that he tried to sell me for $10-$15 each - just made me want to scream when he asked me if I wanted them, but I calmly said no thanks and left. <br /><br />I honestly don't know how these people stay in business. If it's just by selling their newer cards, I understand, because the vintage audience is specialized enough that people will not grossly overpay. I've been going to this place for a year or so, and his vintage card selection is exactly the same as it was back then - maybe he doesn't really want to sell them, just display them?

Archive
09-19-2004, 12:13 PM
Posted By: <b>JimB</b><p>Beverly Hills Baseball Card shop is a nice place and has been around for about 20 years. Matt, the owner is a nice guy and a straight shooter. He really enjoys the vintage stuff and talking about it with collectors. You have to ask him about his vintage (pre WWII) stuff because it is often in the safe in the back.<br />Jim

Archive
09-19-2004, 12:48 PM
Posted By: <b>J Levine</b><p>Oh yeah, dont forget to be nice to Matt's dog...I think I got a bigger discount because I liked the dog in the store. <br /><br />-joshua

Archive
09-19-2004, 07:16 PM
Posted By: <b>Big Spider Beck</b><p>Went into BH Sports this summer while visiting Southern California. Was looking forward to browsing real vintage cards instead of eBay digital images. Matt wouldn't show me any vintage cards! I made my case that I was not just some ignorant dipstick off the street: I saw Mays play in the Polo Grounds; I have in my care a '33 Goudey Lah-ja-way, an M116 Joe Wood and even a Zeenut Prince Oana; I think the infield fly rule ought to be in the Constitution. I ain't no Commie. Besides, my pockets were loaded with cash. Still, no vintage cards. Talked story with the man for an hour. No cards. Hell of a way to do business. Koufax was a great pitcher and a great dog; Matt, though a personable guy, is hardly a great card seller. I wouldn't waste time on another visit to his shop.

Archive
09-22-2004, 03:42 PM
Posted By: <b>Anonymous</b><p>On Robertson. Matt is talkative, well informed, and has been doing this for many years. He is honest and straightforward. I don't know what the last guy did to piss him off, but the treatment he described seems really out of character. He generally has lots of stock and likes to do deals. Haven't had an issue with him in over 20 years of doing business.

Archive
09-22-2004, 03:45 PM
Posted By: <b>T206Collector</b><p>...that pre-war dealers keep prices above ebay prices in order to get the ocassional score, but will sell on ebay in order to pay the bills. That is why I have a hard time buying from dealers at shows and from their websites -- I don't want to be responsible for their score.

Archive
09-22-2004, 06:54 PM
Posted By: <b>Aaron M.</b><p>I've always had great experiences at BHBCS. Matt will talk your ear off about anything sports-related (Dodgers, UCLA, etc.) and is always very helpful about finding what you are looking for--no matter how obscure. <br /><br />A litle pricy, but I think that's what you haver to expect from a retail card store--especially one located in proximity to Beverly Hills! <br /><br />One other card store I'd mention is Santa Monica Sports Cards. Not much of a vintage collection, but I always buy my card and memoribilia supplies there and they are always very friendly and helpful.