PDA

View Full Version : 1933 Canadian World Wide Gum card values?

Archive
08-25-2004, 07:23 AM
Posted By: <b>Brad Freeman</b><p>I would like some advice from the members here regarding the relative value of the Canadian issue versus the US Goudey issue. I am just beginning to look at that year and noticed that there are some of the Canadian versions on EBAY. Are these considered to be desirable collectibles? Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Archive
08-25-2004, 09:27 AM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>They are a cheaper alternative to the American version, but not by much. The Ruth and Bengough are significantly cheaper, but the other HOFers are cheaper, but not as much as so as the Ruth a Bengough. The big appeal to the set is that it looks exactly like the American version, but you only have to pay for 2 Ruth cards and Bengough is far cheaper than the American version.<br /><br />Jay<br><br>I like to sit outside, drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home I would be arrested, so I go to baseball games and fit right in.

Archive
08-25-2004, 03:47 PM
Posted By: <b>Andrew</b><p>Not that logic governs this hobby, but I would think that since World Wide Gum is scarcer than Goudey prices would reflect this. I make this assumption based on POP reports and the number of Ebay listings. At any given time there's a Ruth, Gehrig, etc. Goudey for list, but much less frequent for WWG. In regard to POP reports:<br /><br />1933 Goudey Ruth #53 - 330 graded<br />1933 Goudey Gehrig #92 - 525<br />1933 Goudey Ruth #144 - 484<br />1933 Goudey Ruth #149 - 357<br />1933 Goudey Gehrig #160 - 284<br />1933 Goudey Ruth #181 - 428<br />1933 WWG Gehrig #55 - 20<br />1933 WWG Ruth #80 - 31<br />1933 WWG Ruth #93 - 17<br /><br />1934 Goudey Gehrig #37 - 341<br />1934 Goudey Gehrig #61 - 314<br />1934 WWG Ruth #28 - 19<br />1934 WWG Gehrig #92 - 10<br /><br />Same logic can be applied to 1965-1976 OPC-Topps, but same outcome there.<br /><br />

Archive
08-25-2004, 04:27 PM
Posted By: <b>gdp</b><p>The problem is that there is not the same demand for these cards, hence the prices are somewhat lower - and more volatile. Every now and then the prices for some of these cards has risen above the comparable cards in the US Goudey set when collector-frenzy hits. PSA's decision to include them in the SMR price list has also brought a bt more price parity. But there are not as many collectors, hence not as much liquidity or stability. BUT, you shold not try to collect them as substitutes or equivalents for the US Goudey set.

Archive
08-25-2004, 05:31 PM
Posted By: <b>scott brockelman</b><p>at one time i collected the 1933 and 1934 canadian goudey sets, the 33 is fairly easy, i completed it with little trouble. the 1934's are a different story, the second series of the 1934's #49 & up is a real bear and probably undervalued, after several years i was still a few short and needed some upgrades as well. as a side note, you will find that both years of canadian goudeys are found on extremely wrinkled stock, some people think they are creases, but actually the cardboard stock was of poor quality and frequently displays a rippled or wrinkled effect.<br /><br /> as a previous poster pointed out, there is very little demand for these, so long term appreciation may be minimal.<br /><br />scott

Archive
08-25-2004, 06:49 PM
Posted By: <b>Geoff Litwack</b><p>I've been working on this set on and off for about three years. I have to agree with Jay - commons are significantly cheaper than their American cousins (I've gotten a number of PSA 7s for $50-$60) but HOFs are closer to parity because of (I assume) player collectors. <br /><br />But Scott - was it really so easy to finish '33? I'm almost done, but I still haven't seen 54, 62, 73, or 88 on eBay, dealer websites, at Fort Washington, Hollywood Park, etc. I don't think they're especially rare, but I haven't found this to be an easy set.<br /><br />Best,<br />Geoff