PDA

View Full Version : Question about non-US tobacco cards

Archive
08-21-2004, 08:16 PM
Posted By: <b>Pete</b><p>Hey there. 1st post here. I've finally gotten back into vintage cards, becoming totally bored with the latest modern short-print RCs, game-used, etc. (though I did make a worthwhile detour through Cut Autograph land on the way). <br /><br />I've become really drawn to a lot of the tobacco and candy cards. There was a very nice high-grade 1932 Bulgaria Sport tobacco-style card of Babe Ruth and Max Schmeling, which I saw at a recent card show. <br /><br />The dealer's offered it to me for $200, and it's in a SGC 80 grade. My questions are: a) How much does one of these go for, b) Does anyone know a good resource for finding out pricing on some of these more obscure issues, and c) In general, is a card like this a good investment, for someone like me looking to get back into vintage on a budget, and in search of a decent-grade Ruth card? And when I say "investment" I don't mean from a re-sale value, but in terms of spending my money on something that's worth it, and not junk. <br /><br />Thanks in advance. Look forward to any insight you can give.

Archive
08-21-2004, 08:35 PM
Posted By: <b>hankron</b><p>If you don't have one, you should buy a copy of Standard Guide to Baseball Cards, by Bob Lemke (Krause Publications).<br /><br />There are a number of vintage European Babe Ruth issues, and they usually don't have close to the popularity of the US issues. The average collector would much prefer a Goudey or Exhibit card to a Bulgarian card. That should be taken into context when buying (this demand should already be reflect in the market price). However, a vintage Babe Ruth is a vintage Babe Ruth-- there will always be demand for Ruth, US or otherwise. In other words, if like the card and can get it at a reasonable price, it's a stable place.

Archive
08-22-2004, 08:07 AM
Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>There was a great deal of controversy over the European Ruth cards (Sanella, Bulgaria, etc.). They used to sell for really big bucks but it rapidly became apparent that they are relatively easy to find and that the supply was being controlled by a cabal of dealers. The prices are relatively stable now, but I believe that most of the buyers on this card are novice collectors who see vintage Ruth and figure what the heck. Personally, I'd save the money towards a better Ruth; even a strip card is better, IMHO.

Archive
08-22-2004, 08:26 AM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>I second what Warshawlaw said. Save your money for a different card. You would do better with that money put toward a "W" card of the Babe. It might not even be much more, if any, than the one you are thinking of....good luck

Archive
08-23-2004, 03:55 PM
Posted By: <b>Darren J. Duet MD</b><p>A vintage Ruth is better than no vintage Ruth. Ultimately all high grade vintage Ruth's will appreciate with time. A vintage goudey Ruth is a much better but cost much more (and worth it)...bottomline if you like the card I think $200 is reasonable.