PDA

View Full Version : T206 Ed Konetchy Error & Questions About T206 Misprints

Archive
09-11-2003, 01:25 PM
Posted By: <b>Marty</b><p><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2752438140&category=31718" target=_new>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2752438140&category=31718</a><BR><BR>I've also seen two seperate copies of a similar card to this of Charles Hemphill that was partially missing the "He".<BR><BR>It seems like some of these types of cards are highly valued (Snodgrass no S, Mitchell Toront, Murr'y, Shappe), whereas others like the Konetchy and Hemphill seem to fly under the radar.<BR><BR>I'm curious as to why collectors pay attention to some of these misprint cards and ignore others even though the nature of the error is the same? <BR><BR> <BR>

Archive
09-11-2003, 01:33 PM
Posted By: <b>Charlie</b><p>As far as I know, There has to be at least 2 of the same type card found to make it a bonafide "variation" or "printing error" otherwise a freak occurance happened such as the printers' shirttale being in between the card and the ink strike.

Archive
09-11-2003, 01:45 PM
Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>It's silly to call this an error. I had two McGraws with most of a letter missing, but they weren't errors - just bad prints.

Archive
09-11-2003, 01:51 PM
Posted By: <b>Dan Mckee</b><p>be very careful with the mitchell toront, they started surfacing the same time as the fake Nodgrass's. Always be nervous if an entire letter is missing and is on the end. Dan.

Archive
09-11-2003, 02:47 PM
Posted By: <b>Marty</b><p>I can't speak for the Konetchy card, but in the case of the Hemphill misprint, I've seen 2 with the exact same printing flaw. So this should make it a "bonafide printing error", no?<BR><BR>I'm not arguing that these printing errors are comparable to the generally accepted error cards like the Magie. I'm just confused as to why some of the printing errors are highly collected (Nodgrass), whereas the Hemphill is ignored by collectors.<BR><BR>I'll try to post a scan of one of the Hemphills.

Archive
09-11-2003, 04:49 PM
Posted By: <b>Elliot</b><p>I think there is a very clear distinction between a variation like Magie, which clearly was a mistake by the printing company/issuer, and was issued as intended, although later corrected, and the Snodgrass, et al misprints. I would make a further delineation between those misprints that are "one-offs" and those that were systematically misprinted.<br><br>Elliot<BR>

Archive
09-11-2003, 05:47 PM
Posted By: <b>Marty</b><p>Elliot, I agree with your categorization of "true" errors, systematic printing flaws, and one-time printing flaws. <BR><BR>Now, I've seen two copies of the Hemphill misprints...so shouldn't this make it a systematic printing error, putting it in the same category as the Nodgrass? <BR><BR><BR><BR>

Archive
09-11-2003, 06:50 PM
Posted By: <b>John(z28jd)</b><p>Hey Marty,i know someone who has a Hemphill also,dont know if its one of the ones you know of.His ebay ID is mrvster and he bought it about 6 months ago,a real nice example that went for $150+ which i did not recommend but he went thru with it anyway.<BR><BR>Basically i dont know why certain things count as errors and other dont with T206s,im sure i could find some cards with print missing in a letter if i looked thru all of my T206s.I wouldnt spend any extra or ask any extra if i was selling them. <BR> <BR>Now if someone had a piedmont back that was printed upside down and had parts of 4 backs and was on the back of a hall of famer,then the card should be worth a real lot!

Archive
09-11-2003, 07:54 PM
Posted By: <b>johnny</b><p>i own the other hemphill marty....i'm (mrvster) on ebay.<BR><BR>i collect t206 errors and feel that some of these cards, if there are multiple cards exactly the same misprint, should be considered a variation if there are more than 2 found, hopefully a few more of these will be found in the future. i feel my hemphill or any of these cards are legit error no matter how you might "classify" them or not...only time will tell how many truly exist...it took a while for multiple copies of the snoddy to surface right??i do not feel that they are worth thousands, put there should be a premuim DEFINITELY placed on them...i have a few other cards with a small amount of ink missing, but they are extremely hard to come by a legit copy...i haven't seen multiple copies of any others except the hemphill<BR><BR><BR><BR>these errors are harder to find than you might think...<BR>johnny, sorry i disagree with you, but you saw my hemphill,if a few more surface, that 155 i spent might be well worth it!!<BR><BR>johnny <BR>

Archive
09-11-2003, 08:01 PM
Posted By: <b>johnny</b><p>scott,<BR><BR>i would've bought one!<BR><BR>johnny

Archive
09-11-2003, 08:06 PM
Posted By: <b>Lee Behrens</b><p>This is an example of the beauty of collecting, you can buy what you want to buy and pay as much as you are willing to pay (if it is high enough). For some people baseball cards are an investment and for other they do it for the enjoyment of collecting, and sometimes if you are lucky you can do both.

Archive
09-11-2003, 08:35 PM
Posted By: <b>johnny</b><p>LEE<BR><BR>i agree.....i absolutely love these errors and also feel they are great investments due to their scarcity and desirabilty..... they will only grow in popularity.<BR><BR>johnny

Archive
09-12-2003, 07:38 AM
Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>...and sold for way under book. I sold about 60 graded t206 HOF'ers about a year ago, - wish I had them back now!

Archive
09-12-2003, 07:47 AM
Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>I have really enjoyed communicating with the few t206 "error" collectors out there - it has been interesting to see what types of cards interest each of you. When I first got interested in these and mistakenly used the word "proof" or "error", I got some really strong responses from purists on the board - almost angry. That was what really got me interested in these cards - since then, many of you have added facts and theories to the puzzle. I have been saving this stuff and look forward to writing a "postscript" article to the last VCBC one - if anyone has corrections, suggestions, please email me. Also, if you are a t206 "problem card" collector, and did not receive the test email I just sent out, please send an email and I will add you to the list. As those on the list will attest, I don't sent much email.

Archive
09-12-2003, 08:24 PM
Posted By: <b>johnny</b><p>scott<BR><BR>i got the test email...thanks for the words!<BR><BR>it's always good to hear from you and we value your opinion....as with the rest of the guys....love these errors, it's all i collect anymore....<BR><BR>johnny v

Archive
05-16-2004, 06:40 PM
Posted By: <b>Marty</b><p>Just saw this one come up on ebay.<BR><BR><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31718&item=4130009123&rd=1" target=_new>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31718&item=4130009123&rd=1</a>

Archive
08-21-2004, 09:45 AM
Posted By: <b>John/z28jd</b><p>I know this thread is from a few months back but another one of these Hemphills surfaced and it completely flew under the radar,ending at just $7.50 in GD condition with a sovereign back this time<br /><br />Obviously this card hasnt gained any attention from error collectors(or t206 collectors in general) but now theres been 5 confirmed ones out there,all with the same printing flaw.<br /><br />So where should the price stand on this card stand now? I think when theres 5 already known thats enough proof that something went wrong on a few sheets.The fact that at least 2 of the others are piedmonts should also say something for the card(or at least say something about the printing process)<br /><br />PS Eventho the last ebay link was from May,it still shows up and theres a nice clear scan

Archive
08-21-2004, 09:45 AM
Posted By: <b>John/z28jd</b><p>I know this thread is from a few months back but another one of these Hemphills surfaced and it completely flew under the radar,ending at just $7.50 in GD condition with a sovereign back this time<br /><br />Obviously this card hasnt gained any attention from error collectors(or t206 collectors in general) but now theres been 5 confirmed ones out there,all with the same printing flaw.<br /><br />So where should the price stand on this card stand now? I think when theres 5 already known thats enough proof that something went wrong on a few sheets.The fact that at least 2 of the others are piedmonts should also say something for the card(or at least say something about the printing process)<br /><br />PS Eventho the last ebay link was from May,it still shows up and theres a nice clear scan