PDA

View Full Version : M101 Backs - do these exist?

Archive
08-06-2004, 02:11 PM
Posted By: <b>Glen V</b><p>Looking through a type card spreadsheet I found somewhere, I noticed two back types I've never heard of. Has anyone ever seen these backs or have any information about whether or not they really exist:<br /><br />Noon Day Cafeteria<br />Atlanta Gazette

Archive
08-06-2004, 03:03 PM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>I have researched these before and never found anyone that has personally seen either one. I would be interested in hearing from anyone that has personally seen one of these. As it stands I believe I have a full set of M101-4/5 backs, would be interested in knowing otherwise.....regards all

Archive
08-06-2004, 03:28 PM
Posted By: <b>petecld</b><p>I'm going from memory here so don't write anythng in stone:<br /><br />"Noon Day Cafeteria" That sounds familiar but as I recall it was on the back of a W573. I may have saved a scan. . . .but don't hold your breath.

Archive
08-06-2004, 07:28 PM
Posted By: <b>Tim Newcomb</b><p>I've heard this rumor before, but never been able to verify its truth. I think the type card spreadsheet (which I have also seen) is mistaken.<br /><br />Tim

Archive
08-10-2004, 10:24 AM
Posted By: <b>Todd (nolemmings)</b><p>&lt;As it stands I believe I have a full set of M101-4/5 backs, would be interested in knowing otherwise...&gt;<br />I'd still love to hear about/see an m101-5 with a Sporting News back. Anybody have one?<br /><br />Todd

Archive
08-10-2004, 06:54 PM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>I didn't differentiate between the years only the different variety of backs......Sporting News are the 2nd most common, imo<br />later<br />leon

Archive
08-11-2004, 09:39 AM
Posted By: <b>Todd (nolemmings)</b><p>That TSN backs may be the 2nd most common back for m101-4, but they are not for m101-5. I was hoping that, as a type collector, you'd happened across a m101-5 with a TSN back. I still have not seen one. I'm not the eyes and ears of the hobby, and only took up m101-5 about a year and a half ago, but I find it odd that nobody seems to have one. Assuming they exist, I would have to say that they are rather scarce, as I have seen all other backs (other than Holmes to Holmes, which you have) on Ebay during that time. <br /><br />I know this is not exactly the riddle of the Sphynx, but it has bugged me for awhile. May your travels lead you to finding one and posting it here!!!<br />

Archive
08-11-2004, 07:28 PM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>The big book 2004 SCD, page 373, if those are the correct front/back pic's, does have Stengel #171 M101-5 "TSN" back pictured. I would think Bob could verify it. You then would have your mystery solved.....good luck regardless

Archive
08-11-2004, 07:55 PM
Posted By: <b>Hal Lewis</b><p>The PSA "pop report" calls this set the 1915 "Sporting News" set ... but shows that MOST of the cards they have graded from this year are "Blank Backs"...<br /><br />but some of the cards do NOT have this designation.<br /><br />SO ... I am not sure if this proves that the remaining cards really DO have a Sporting News back ...<br /><br />or whether PSA didn't start off calling these "Blank Backs" at first and then only did so later on.<br /><br />I would also like to know whether or not a true 1915 card from this set (one of the ones that was numbered DIFFERENTLY than the 1916 set) has been seen with anything OTHER than a blank back.

Archive
08-11-2004, 07:59 PM
Posted By: <b>Hal Lewis</b><p>In looking through an OLD version of the SCD (2000) ...<br /><br />they show 1915 card #124 (Ray Morgan) and they show a "Sporting News" back right beside it (as if this is the back of that card).<br /><br />Ray Morgan was NOT #124 in the 1916 set ... so if that photo is indeed the back of the Ray Morgan card ...<br /><br />then it proves that some 1915 cards DID have the Sporting News back.<br /><br />Mr. Lemke??? Are the photos always the same card (front and back)??

Archive
08-11-2004, 08:30 PM
Posted By: <b>Todd (nolemmings)</b><p>or maybe the time before, I believe Mr. Lemke acknowledged that the front and back pics in his book do not always line up. He then said that he checked with Lew Lipset, who apparently assured him that yes, m101-5 has a TSN back. As I mentioned then, far be it for me to argue with Lew (or anyone else) about this, but all I want is one stinkin example, and maybe other's thoughts (Tim- I think you chimed in last time). If someone tells me they have one, or even that they're positive they've seen them on E-bay, well, that's a start.

Archive
08-11-2004, 08:38 PM
Posted By: <b>Todd (no lemmings)</b><p>there are a handful of m101-5 backs, the most prevalent being Famous & Barr and Standard Biscuit, and both m101-5 and m101-4 were issued after 1915, so the guides that keep m101-5 as 1915 need to be changed, if they haven't been already.<br /><br />Good luck and happy collecting, everyone!<br /><br />

Archive
08-19-2004, 09:20 PM
Posted By: <b>Tim Newcomb</b><p>I've been outta town, so I'm playing catchup on these threads.<br /><br />Like Todd, my only "evidence" of M101-5 TSN backs is somebody quoting Lew as saying they exist. I have never seen one or spoken directly to anyone who owns one. <br /><br />I have over 300 M101-4/5 cards and have been watching them intently for four years now.<br /><br />From these facts that I DO know, I have to conclude that if M101-5 TSN do indeed exist, they are exceedingly scarce, as scarce as the toughest backs.<br /><br />Challenging anyone to offer actual evidence to the contrary, <br /><br />I remain, <br /><br />Your obedient servant in M101 collecting,<br /><br />Tim