PDA

View Full Version : (OT) Is this the best thing that could happen to American Basketball

Archive
08-15-2004, 03:05 PM
Posted By: <b>hankron</b><p>First, consider that Puerto Rico is a US teritory and potential state, making this game comparable to an NBA All-Stars 19 point loss to Georgia. Tell me what NBA owner wouldn't kill to have Tim Duncan, Allen Iverson and Juan LeBron on his team for next year?<br /><br />How many NBA, college, high school and youth coaches have a smile on their faces right now, anticipating that perhaps some of this year's next wave of me-first-Allen-Iverson-wannabes will beleive the coach when tells them passing, defence and showing up to practice on time doesn't cause cancer.

Archive
08-15-2004, 03:27 PM
Posted By: <b>Ben</b><p>The fact is, no one at any level involved in US Basketball can bring themselves to take the other national teams of the world seriously. <br /> <br /> 1. The Players. Despite losing 3 times at the 2002 World Championships and getting trounced by Italy, these players still can't grasp the concept that other teams can beat them. They've been told since grade school how great and superior they are, so deep down they can't fathom that merely by playing harder and better these inferior talents can beat them. <br /> <br /> 2. USA Basketball. They learned nothing from 1988, when John Thompson's college team that had no outside shooters didn't win Gold. They're too busy anointing the chosen "Stars of the Future" to put together a team that's best able to win at the international game. You need outside shooters to win at the Olympics. Brent Barry would help this team more than Carmelo Anthony. But instead of shooters like Ray Allen, Michael Redd, Brent Barry, etc., the team is filled with guys who have iffy jump shots (and that includes Iverson as well as the youngsters). Why? Because deep down, USA Basketball also believed that would be enough, that they really couldn't be beaten. <br /> <br /> 3. The American media. For all their talk about "wake-up calls", they also can't bring themselves to fully acknowledge that other countries have capable teams. After today's game, with Puerto Rico playing a fantastic game, who did NBA interview? Not Carlos Arroyo. Not any other member of the Puerto Rican team, and surely several of them speak English just fine. NBA went with Iverson. NBC doesn't think Puerto Rico won this game, only that the USA lost it.<br />

Archive
08-15-2004, 03:39 PM
Posted By: <b>hankron</b><p>I tend to beleive that games like this are nothing but good for basketball, both in the US and around the world. It is epecially positive for young players. Whether in Chicago or Rome, anything that motivates you to work harder and smarter is a good thing.

Archive
08-15-2004, 03:39 PM
Posted By: <b>Basketball Vintage</b><p>So, is someone going to post rookie basketball cards or what?<br /><br />Team USA is a team of great players and somewhat of a great team. <br /><br />Chemistry - Wouldn't it have been cool to have Larry Brown's NBA championship team doing the work on the court, that was a well oiled teamed that had a nice bond - now throw together a bunch of guys that don't gel to well and what do you get -<br /><br />A taem USA loss and a basketball thread in a vintage baseball forum...

Archive
08-15-2004, 03:40 PM
Posted By: <b>Max</b><p>Somehow, deep inside, I have a thought that the USA basketball loss resulted from the decision of the Colorado Rockies to not release Canadian pitcher Jeff Francis for the Olympics. (No doubt they clearly felt the needed two more starts in Triple A would benefit his long term career more than the Olympics) Given that the USA team didn't qualify in baseball, the recompense for Colorado's decision had to play out in another sport.<br /><br />(Canada beat Taiwan 7-0 today, which just proves that what happens in the Little League World Series doesn't always transcend later in life..)<br /><br />Max

Archive
08-15-2004, 04:33 PM
Posted By: <b>ramram</b><p>Bring back the college boys. Who'd of ever imagined that our baseball team wouldn't even qualify for the Olympics and that our basketball team didn't even show up. But hey, look at the bright side, how about that Iraqi soccer team (you're welcome).

Archive
08-15-2004, 06:58 PM
Posted By: <b>Scottopotamus</b><p>David Stern and the NBA wanted to "export" basketball to the rest of the world and it looks like they've done a pretty good job of it. Granted, this Olympic's "Dream Team" is a far cry from the 1992 version, but the loss is more of testament to other countries improving (and sending their top players) than the decrease in Team USA's ability.<br /><br />On the flip side of the coin, Team USA's soccer program is continually getting better and America is no longer an "easy win" for international opponents.<br />

Archive
08-16-2004, 01:27 AM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>It's not surprising that Team USA lost. Now that world wide talent has almost caught up, they are still trying to figure out how to play the game under international rules. A great player in the International game doesn't translate into a great NBA player, or even an NBA player. Look at Ocsar Schmidt, arguably the greatest player never to play in the NBA, but also failed miserably in his lone NBA tryout and never went back.<br /><br />the other major problem is that we are the only country that does not have a national team. All the teams in the Olympics have pretty much been together for a few years and it's easy enough to insert the few players that they may have in the NBA since they grew up playing under International rules.<br /><br />Until the US decides to establish a national team, we are going to be a non-factor in the medal hunt for the forseeable future.<br /><br />Jay<br><br>I like to sit outside, drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home I would be arrested, so I go to baseball games and fit right in.

Archive
08-16-2004, 04:17 AM
Posted By: <b>Joe P,</b><p>Take notice that prior to 1992, the college kids and amateurs of the USA Non National teams were not too shabby.<br />It was 1992 when the Money Bags from the NBA that talked the talk, took over from the college kids that walked the walk.<br /><br />Also please take notice.<br />The hypothetical comparison of the State of Georgia, and the small island of Puerto Rico???<br /><br />All you have to look at is the amount of NCAA teams in the State of Georgia.<br /><br /><a href="http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start=7&q=http://members.aol.com/bradleyrd/olympics.html&e=7507" target=_new>http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start=7&q=http://members.aol.com/bradleyrd/olympics.html&e=7507</a><br /><br />Joe

Archive
08-16-2004, 07:17 AM
Posted By: <b>Pcelli60</b><p>You are so right! Mr. Iversons generation- with few exceptions, is why I have lost interest in a league I once loved..This Olympic Tournament will just continue to expose the already obvious..I still miss the College kids!!