PDA

View Full Version : Yogi Berra Museum

Archive
08-11-2004, 07:01 PM
Posted By: <b>John/z28jd</b><p>I got a chance to visit the Yogi Berra museum today in Montclair NJ and i recommend going there for anyone in the area.Theres some great items like a 1916 Babe Ruth jersey and all of the awards Berra won during his playing days.If youre a Yankees fan its a must visit as its very weighted with Bronx Bombers memorabilia<br /><br />I was able to pick up a very neat item for me at least.A picture from august 7,1982 taken during the old timers day lineup.The reason its special is because that was the first game i ever attended.<br /><br />The Yogi Berra stadium where the NJ Jackals play is connected to the museum and is a great looking park for an independant team.<br /><br />One of the highlights was a Babe Ruth game used bat that you were able and encouraged(believe it or not) to touch.<br /><br />Of course they also have a room which is wall-to-wall Yogisms and altho ive heard them all i still get a kick out of some of them

Archive
08-11-2004, 07:55 PM
Posted By: <b>Julie Vognar</b><p>......

Archive
08-11-2004, 09:08 PM
Posted By: <b>Scottopotamus</b><p>The Yogi Berra museum is always so crowded. That's the reason no one ever goes there.<br><br>Scottoptamus<br />My T206 Web Site<br /><br /><a href="http://www.freewebs.com/scottopotamus" target=_new>http://www.freewebs.com/scottopotamus</a>

Archive
08-11-2004, 09:38 PM
Posted By: <b>Ray (NJ)</b><p>My cousin, who at the time was no more than 10 years old, got to meet Yogi at a Jackals game a few years back. He asked Yogi for his autograph and got this response:<br /><br />"Not unless you give me twenty bucks"<br /><br />I love the Yankees, but I'll never forget that.

Archive
08-12-2004, 06:22 AM
Posted By: <b>Adam J. Moraine</b><p>In response to Yogi Berra being a jerk, We had Mr. Berra as an autograph guest at the Bob Feller Museum, in Van Meter, Iowa during June of 2003. Mr. Berra was a class act, and SO MUCH more. I even had the opportunity to have lunch with Feller, and Berra at the museum. Yogi even posed for pics with me. IF I had a scanner I would provide pics(sorry). Heck, I walked out of the Museum that day with 6 autographed 8 x 10 photos.(free of charge).This was my second meeting with Berra.<br /><br />Adam J. Moraine<br />Des Moines, iowa<br /><br />www.bobfellermuseum.org

Archive
08-12-2004, 06:33 AM
Posted By: <b>Adam J. Moraine</b><p>And besides Ray (from NJ)what's $20.00? Your relative was getting an autograph, and a chance to meet one of the greatest ballplayers of all time. For a measly $20.00, despite his age, the money would have been well worth it. Remember, Berra DID NOT make millions of dollars during his playing career.Berra paid his dues,He is even a war vetern. Not bad logic considering I am approaching 24 years old, on November 3.(Same b-day as Bob Feller) <br /><br />Best Regards,<br /><br />Adam J. Moraine

Archive
08-12-2004, 06:59 AM
Posted By: <b>Marc S.</b><p>99% of baseball players, both former and current either are really really nice at times, or jerks at others. At the end of the day, we will all have bad or good experiences with a lot of ballplayers, independent of whether or not that one-off experience is reflective of their overall personality.<br /><br />Some, like Bob Feller, never seem to be a jerk.<br /><br />Others, like Dr. Mike Marshall or Barry Bonds, often seem less accommodating, all things considered.<br /><br />That being said - whatever each of our one experience with the ballplayer is - that will be our memory forever and ever. For me - Cal Ripken was a bit of a jerk, Dennis Eckersley was great, Canseco was a dick, DiMaggio was okay - and myriad other experiences. But - just me.

Archive
08-12-2004, 08:47 AM
Posted By: <b>Kevin Cummings</b><p>Marc's right - although their baseball skills elevate them from mere mortal status in many people's eyes, they are all human after all and just like us they have their good days and bad days. Our impression is often formed by just a single meeting and may not be representative. <br /><br />In my experience, Yogi is wonderful. He used to be a member at the country club I caddied at as a teenager and he was always very approachable by everyone. I still have a scorecard with his and Mickey Mantle's autograph on it.

Archive
08-12-2004, 11:31 AM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>I didn't like Mantle. He was always an ass when I met him. Then again, that may have just been the booze. Canseco is the king of all jerks. In 1988 I knew a guy that had spent all year getting a ball signed by all the A's players, saving the sweet spot for Canseco. He finally tracked him down at the local Black Angus in San Leandro. He handed the ball to Canseco and asked him to sign the sweet spot. Instead, he turned the ball and signed his name across a bunch of other sigs.<br /><br />Personally, I would have been breaking some fingers at the point.<br /><br />Jay<br /><br />I like to sit outside, drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home I would be arrested, so I go to baseball games and fit right in.

Archive
08-12-2004, 08:30 PM
Posted By: <b>Ray (NJ)</b><p>Maybe he was having a bad day, but that was just wrong to say to a kid. It wasn't an organized event. He was just there at the game, and I happened to know who he was. So I told my cousin who he was and to ask for his autograph. He could have just said i'm sorry, i can't. Anyways, I've said enough.<br /><br />Looks like I changed this to a new thread... best experiences with professional atheletes: Pete Rose (twice actually, almost 15 years apart!), Robin Roberts, and Tom Glavine.

Archive
08-12-2004, 09:11 PM
Posted By: <b>Greg Ecklund</b><p>Best: Brooks Robinson, Bob Feller, Willie Stargell, Al Barlick, Jim Brosnan, Joe Sewell<br /><br />Worst: Tom Seaver, Willie Mays, Reggie Jackson, Jay Johnstone