PDA

View Full Version : Terminology definition

Archive
08-04-2004, 06:22 AM
Posted By: <b>Gilbert Maines</b><p>Hi all,<br /><br />I realize that a card in pretty worn condition is termed Very Good, and one that is hardly presentable is a card which is called "in good condition". Is it also true that when a grading service states that a card is found to be of questionable authenticity, it is a fake (reprint, etc.)?<br /><br />Are there other hobby terms, which are potentially misleading, that a less experienced collector should be aware of in order to make informed choices?<br /><br />Thank you,<br />Gil

Archive
08-04-2004, 06:35 AM
Posted By: <b>Jon Canfield</b><p>To me, a card that is hardly presentable would be termed "poor", or as I like to call them "piece of sh*t"...

Archive
08-04-2004, 07:31 AM
Posted By: <b>Scottopotamus</b><p>I think the problem arises from novices (even more than me!) when they try to judge a card’s condition. A card listed in “excellent” condition might actually be in excellent condition in that person’s mind, considering the card is almost 100 years old. Unfortunately, the card hobby does not allow for depreciation!<br /><br />An overwhelming majority of my craptacular T206 collection is listed in “fair” condition, meaning they only spent a few days in the spokes of a bicycle.<br /><br><br>Scottoptamus<br />My T206 Web Site<br /><br /><a href="http://www.freewebs.com/scottopotamus" target=_new>http://www.freewebs.com/scottopotamus</a>

Archive
08-04-2004, 07:52 AM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>I suggest you visit the websites of the top grading companies and then look in Beckett and SCD....after reviewing all of those definitions of grades you will know the standards. The other standard is the "dealer" standard. Most of the times the dealer standard is about a 1/2 grade to 3 grades high....imo....take care and good luck......ps....a fake or reprint is not graded....and is usually worthless.....

Archive
08-04-2004, 08:15 AM
Posted By: <b>Gilbert Maines</b><p>Gentlemen,<br /><br />The intent of this post was not a discussion about grading. Perhaps I should have not included my first sentence.<br /><br />However, I agree that cards which may be hardly presentable to some, may be highly desirable to others. Heck, some of my best days - I am hardly presentable. But Id like to think that my wife overlooks most of that.

Archive
08-04-2004, 09:01 AM
Posted By: <b>Dave</b><p>To repeat Leon, different grading companies have different rules of grading. PSA, for instance, will grade a card as clean when there is writing on it. The grade will be modified with MK, which means it is marked. Other companies will lower the grade, typically 2 points (on the PSA scale) for marking. It makes a big difference whether this is included in the grade or not.<br /><br />Cards may be rejected for grading for many reasons other than reprint. With the exception of PRO (don't go there), grading companies will reject trimmed cards, or ones that have been bleached. This can be checked with a black light. Adding material to hide loss is not allowed. <br /><br />Other flaws are mis-cut (MC) and off-center (OC) that may modify the grade, or just be noted as a grade qualifier. You'll see NQ sometimes on ebay - this means a "clean" grade, no qualifiers.

Archive
08-04-2004, 11:24 AM
Posted By: <b>hankron</b><p> .

Archive
08-04-2004, 12:49 PM
Posted By: <b>Joe P.</b><p>*<br /><br /><a href="http://www.t206museum.com/page/periodical_5.html" target=_new>http://www.t206museum.com/page/periodical_5.html</a>

Archive
08-04-2004, 01:34 PM
Posted By: <b>Pcelli60</b><p>Grading services are a good voice to listen to in terms of authenticty. Of course you should seek the opinion of other collectors- if you are not strictly a computer buyer!.. But you also must trust you instincts and not get caught up in grading terminology. Use the eyes God gave you and judge for yourself what is considered 'decent' condition..Bringing your questions to this forum is a major step in the right direction for your future vintage collecting..