PDA

View Full Version : New Collector

Archive
07-30-2004, 10:32 AM
Posted By: <b>Gilbert Maines</b><p>Hi all,<BR><BR>I have been contributing (little) for the past month to this board after following your contributions for some time. Although I am not exactly a new collector, some of my mistakes can easily qualify me for that title.<BR><BR>I am approaching my sixth decade of existence during which the past three have been increasing in card collecting emphasis almost enough to rival my first two.<BR><BR>Actually my collecting enthusiasm is directed by my interest in history. Specifically, I collect coins from 700 - present with focus in several areas of specialization. Similarly my interest in the period prior to WWII through the space age has led me to accumulate non-sports cards which seem to depict the interests and feelings of the people in this country during that interval.<BR><BR>Regarding baseball cards, my collection is driven by the history of the sport. My cards are assembled in themes which show accomplishments, occurances, and failures which bind them. For example one such grouping includes the cards of Curt Flood showing him with the Cards, Phillies and Washington along with John Ward and several others who were instrumental in the approximately 100 year fight against the reserve clause.<BR><BR>This approach to collecting does not result in a great number of cards in my collection, nor does it lead me to purchase cards which I do not want, simply to complete a set. It is just right for me.<BR><BR>Thank you for your open sharing of knowledge and insight as well as the scans of so many cards others like me see too infrequently - even in pictures.<BR><BR>Gilbert Maines

Archive
07-30-2004, 01:31 PM
Posted By: <b>Julie</b><p>But I have Curt Flood's card and autograph, a big Blascksox collection, bunch of Jackie Robinson cards (and a dandy Branch Rickey photo), and all the Mullen Dodgers yearbooks, other Dodgers cards and autographs from that era.<BR><BR>Only have one Ward card, though--used to have two.

Archive
07-30-2004, 01:36 PM
Posted By: <b>GDP</b><p>Let me add myself to the list. Having finally figured out where this forum is located (I was reminded, once again, at the Nationals), I hope to anjoy these discussions in the future (though I think I will duck some of the more exciting ones for the time being).<BR><BR>Gil Porter

Archive
07-30-2004, 01:53 PM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>Sounds like a way to collect. Welcome aboard the insanity wagon, where lawyers are reviled, but we let them post here anyway :-p<BR><BR>Jay