PDA

View Full Version : Jake Beckley Autograph

Archive
07-29-2004, 04:30 PM
Posted By: <b>T206Collector</b><p>Jacob Peter Beckley (Eagle Eye) died June 25, 1918 in Kansas City, MO. That gave him about 7-9 years to autograph this card here:<BR><BR><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=73396&item=5111986246&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW" target=_new>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=73396&item=5111986246&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW</a><BR><BR>Does anybody have any idea as to its authenticity?<BR>

Archive
07-29-2004, 05:43 PM
Posted By: <b>Sean Coe</b><p>I went thru every auction catalog I have for the last 5 years and could not find one Beckley for sale. If this were real it would be worth thousands and I can't imagine the seller doesn't know this. If I had what I thought was an authentic Beckley or Keeler, Delehanty etc... I certainly would be giving Mastronet or Robert Edward Auctions a call-not putting it up for sale on Ebay.

Archive
07-29-2004, 08:21 PM
Posted By: <b>prewarsports</b><p>I buy and sell many prewar cards as most of the people on this forum know, but I also deal extensively in autographs and know exactly where this card comes from. About 6 months ago, a seller bought a collection of real N and T cards with autographs on front and listed them on ebay as real cards with fake autographs. I know because I bought an N284 John Ward for $65 (A good price for a VGEX Buchner even with writing on the front). This was one of the cards from that collection which was sold on ebay as a guaranteed real card with a FAKE autograph. I can probably dig up the original sellers name for verification. The ink used is fiber tipped and not fountain pen and is an obvious fake when examined in hand, as I did with my Ward when it came. If you want a T206 Beckley with writing than it is probably worth about $30 but the ink on the front is a detriment to the card and not a plus. Do not buy this card. I do not know if this person did buy this card with a large group as they stated, but if they did, it must have been in a large group sometime within the last 6 months. Sounds to me like they are waiting for the memory of the original sellers auctions and disclaimers to wear off and is now trying to make a quick buck. Stay Far Away From This Item.<BR><BR>Rhys

Archive
07-30-2004, 06:32 AM
Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>I wonder how long it will be before buyers of cards like this and other fakes sue ebay for refusing to enforce its own rules relating to these items?