PDA

View Full Version : help with regrades

Archive
07-23-2004, 12:42 PM
Posted By: <b>shoo&nbsp; </b><p>I have several cards i want regraded by sgc, i dont want to damage my cards trying to break open the slabs, will sgc regrade them if i send them to them what a about psa thanks shoo

Archive
07-23-2004, 12:46 PM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>If you are looking to regrade, it's always best to break the slab. SGC isn't problem. Get a small, flat tip screwdriver, put it in the seam of the slab and twist. The slab will easily seperate.<BR><BR>Jay

Archive
07-23-2004, 12:56 PM
Posted By: <b>Josh K.</b><p>Jay, <BR><BR>I have a few cards Im looking to regrade as well - I believe each will get at least a half grade bump from PSA. Why do you believe that it is better to break the cards out - as opposed to sending them in the slab and providing your minimum accepted grade (at least then, if it doesnt get the grade you think, wont it be returned in the original slab with the original grade).<BR><BR>Also, how easy/difficult is it to open a bvg(beckett) slab? Thanks.

Archive
07-23-2004, 02:18 PM
Posted By: <b>JimB</b><p>It is probably best to break them out. PSA may cross some things over in the same grade, but it is highly unlikely that they will give something a higher grade if it is in another company's holder, simply because they want to avoid the perception of being the softer grading company. <BR>Jim

Archive
07-23-2004, 03:02 PM
Posted By: <b>aro13</b><p>Here is an excellent website that will help you with how to crack out a graded card: <a href="http://www.seanet.com/~brucemo/card_articles/deslab.htm" target=_new>http://www.seanet.com/~brucemo/card_articles/deslab.htm</a><BR><BR>If you send the card in an SGC holder and ask for the half-grade bump it is very possible your card will come back in the SGC holder. If you crack the card and send it raw to PSA your chances of a higher grade are better but many things can go wrong. I have only had one card come back with a higher grade and that was a 1965-66 Hockey card that went from a BGS 7 to a PSA 8 using the re-grade service. Otherwise, the grades have been the same or lower for my submissions.

Archive
07-23-2004, 06:09 PM
Posted By: <b>shoo</b><p>Are pros slabs similiar to those of psa and sgc, ive got a really funny feeling about this card which is t206 speaker in a pro slab. Im not sure if they made crappy holders or the card has been trimmed. The card moves way too much in this holder.Its the only card I have graded by pro so i have nothing to compare with.

Archive
07-23-2004, 07:07 PM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>If it's PRO, it's probably trimmed. There has been the rare unaltered card in a PRO holder, but I wouldn't count on it.<BR><BR>Jay

Archive
07-25-2004, 08:16 AM
Posted By: <b>Pcelli60</b><p>I collect some graded pre-war. But I must admit, I get from time to time caught up in the grading system and really lose sight of the object. I have before me this little piece of the past and I dont even see it..So I stop and wonder, regrade? I even find myself going out of my way to avoid graded cards. Avoiding them might just be the greatest challenge of my collecting future.

Archive
07-25-2004, 11:22 AM
Posted By: <b>tbob</b><p>Probably best not to submit a card in a PSA holder to SGC for a regrade or vice versa unless you want the same grade and a new holder because I don't believe either will bump it up and be perceived as an easier grader. <BR>As far as PRO graded cards go, I have a few caramel cards sitting in PRO holders simply for protective reasons. A couple of really nice E98s which had a tiny color flake off and which I unknowingly (before reading this board) replaced with a tiny spot of glue on the tiny flake, thus rendering them ungradeable by the Big 3, reside in PRO holders. I also have a couple of obviously trimmed cards in PRO holders that were purchased cheap but have tremendous eye appeal and actually a couple of gorgeous caramel cards which may or may not be altered and which I'll probably break out and send to SGC for regrading. The bottom line is, yes, there are cards in PRO holders which are trimmed and yes, they do grade some trimmed cards, BUT yes, so does PSA and anyone who doesn't believe that is fooling themselves.

Archive
07-25-2004, 01:49 PM
Posted By: <b>Jason Smith</b><p>&gt;BUT yes, so does PSA and anyone who doesn't believe that is fooling themselves.<BR><BR>That does worry me, but what worries me more is that I'll buy what looks like a great card raw and then have it come back as trimmed. That's happened to me once. I still can't tell it's trimmed. But then I'll see cards that I do think are trimmed, or at least are smaller than it seems they should be...<BR>It doesn't matter that much, because I do still enjoy the card (T206 Jack Quinn), I just can't register it.<BR>Jason

Archive
07-26-2004, 07:18 AM
Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>Send them in in the holders but note all over your invoice "do not remove cards from PSA holders unless they receive an equal or higher grade". They will follow your instructions.

Archive
07-26-2004, 12:36 PM
Posted By: <b>shoo</b><p>Thanks for everybodys input, what are the measurements for a t207 card thanks

Archive
07-26-2004, 12:47 PM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>The last part of your argument is putting PSA, or other reputable services, in the same category as PRO. That's not a very fair comparison, imo. Pro is the absolute worst of the companies at grading trimmed cards.....as NASA and AAA usually grade pieces of paper cut from books....generally worth about zilch.....So, with all do respect, your analogy wasn't quite right, imo......take care.....( I too think there are probably a few PRO graded cards that aren't trimmed though )