PDA

View Full Version : More "Disclaimers of Authenticity"

Archive
07-18-2004, 04:06 PM
Posted By: <b>Paul</b><p> "I do not place any guarantees of any sort on non-graded cards due to liability." What on earth does this mean? I don't guarantee authenticity of ungraded cards because then I'll have to refund your money ("liability")? That's exactly why you're supposed to guarantee authenticity. Of course, he does guarantee the authenticity of his graded cards. What a trooper and a true credit to ebay.<BR><BR><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31722&item=5109847076&rd=1" target=_new>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31722&item=5109847076&rd=1</a>

Archive
07-18-2004, 04:19 PM
Posted By: <b>Julie Vognar</b><p>The back problems the seller addresses. Let's face it: this is not a great card. Seller doesn't want you to buy it and then change your mind about your quirky purchase. Guess it's "his pejorative," as somebody I know says.<BR><BR>Whoops...the M101-5 Ruth is phony, and the E90-1 Jackson looks mighty peculiar. On second thought, I'd leave all his stuff alone.

Archive
07-18-2004, 05:14 PM
Posted By: <b>mzm55</b><p>Take a look at some of his other items up for sale like his 1938 goudey set. I was never aware that Lou Gehrig had a 1938 goudey correct me if i'm wrong but I am almost positive he didn't.<BR><BR><BR><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=44821&item=5109844359" target=_new>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=44821&item=5109844359</a><BR>

Archive
07-18-2004, 06:00 PM
Posted By: <b>Paul</b><p>Lou Gehrig is not in the set. But according to the seller, some guy named "Gherig" is in the set. I'll have to defer to him on that one.<BR><BR>I don't mind a seller saying he can't guarantee how someone else will grade a card. But telling the public that you really, really believe the card is authentic, but can't guarantee it's authenticity because of some undescribed concern about "liability" is shameless. Maybe next he will say he can't guarantee authenticity for "insurance" reasons.

Archive
07-18-2004, 07:03 PM
Posted By: <b>tbob</b><p>I don't trust any seller who makes his feedback private.

Archive
07-18-2004, 11:05 PM
Posted By: <b>Card Cowboy</b><p>I know I'm the new guy and seem to pick the phoney's right off... but this guy almost got me too. I emailed him asking questions about the authenticity, and he gives me this story about some being fake but he's "not sure" about the Goudeys (said he took them to an expert after numerous emails). He cant remember where they were obtained either. An hour later he revises his auctions saying they are most likely reprints. Do yall think he had a guilt trip, or is he really an honest guy who got duped by another. I also noticed his feedback is private, but 100% positive feedback... strange huh?

Archive
07-19-2004, 01:41 AM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>It's possible people have been reporting him for violating the authenticity discaimer and may have gotten a warning from eBay. Nothing a threat of losing his change to scam people to put up that lame disclainer he now has about showing the cards to an expert, etc., etc. He's a scammer thru and thru.<BR><BR>Jay

Archive
07-19-2004, 05:27 AM
Posted By: <b>steve k</b><p>Don't let scammers with &quot;good looking&quot; private feedback fool you. Much of this feedback comes from their own shill accounts bidding on their own merchandise. They don't want you to see that it's the same account(s) always winning their lots. When their shill account wins the bid, I don't think they are going to give themselves a neg. <br><br>You can do the math - even with the ebay fees, etc., if they rope-in one good sucker every once in a while, they are still making money. After building up a bunch of this &quot;positive feedback,&quot; then they'll come in &quot;for the kill.&quot; They'll usually list dozens of expensive lots, scam as many people as possible, then stiff ebay for the fees. Then later on simply open up another ebay account and do it all over again. Ebay doesn't really care because when ebay gets stiffed for fees, it really doesn't cost them any &quot;real&quot; money. <br><br>

Archive
07-19-2004, 07:08 PM
Posted By: <b>Paul</b><p>A private feedback score of 100% is not very impressive when you have been a member of ebay for only one month. It may simply be one positive feedback (from his mother).