PDA

View Full Version : $500 reprint?

Archive
07-12-2004, 12:38 PM
Posted By: <b>Judge Dred</b><p>I saw the following auction on ebay and I was wondering if there is such a thing as a $500 reprint?<BR><BR><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5108447578&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT" target=_new>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5108447578&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT</a><BR><BR>The only $500 reprint(s) I can think of are those that people pay $500 only to find out that they've been scammed...

Archive
07-12-2004, 01:36 PM
Posted By: <b>hankron</b><p>In cases of fakes and other insincere auction descriptions, there is a distinct difference between what the winner is bidding on and what the winner buys. You can't do a switch and say that the winning bid is the value of what was really offered.

Archive
07-12-2004, 11:35 PM
Posted By: <b>lentel</b><p>This reminds me of that famous old blue eyes version of wagner that popped up a while back.<BR>You know the one where it was found is gramps attic and wagner is related to sinatra

Archive
07-13-2004, 05:56 AM
Posted By: <b>Gary B.</b><p>From the above mentioned auction:<BR><BR>"You are bidding on a RARE card of the 1909 T206 Honus Wagner Card. I bought a box full with cards several years ago, and it included this card. I have no idea whether this is real or Reprint."<BR><BR>You gotta love this one. The condition of this card is such that if it were real, it would be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. Worth the 10 bucks to submit it to PSA to know for sure? Reminds me of the time my father found a Strativarius violin in my grandfather's things when he died. We took pictures and sent it to Christie's auction house, only to find out it was a fake worth about $200, but hey, at least we knew!<BR><BR>Anyone who buys this reprint is getting themselves a very expensive piece of cardboard from the 80's or 90's...

Archive
07-13-2004, 08:20 AM
Posted By: <b>andy becker</b><p>...it was a 1953 topps reprint issued near 1980 (way before the archives reprint set). scd mentions it may have been a promo at a topps dinner. there are about 8 cards in the reprint set. the jackie robinson books well over $500.

Archive
07-13-2004, 09:52 AM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>I send the seller an email asking him for proof of reprints that have sold for over $500 that were clearly labeled as being a reprint. His response was that he had seen lots of them on eBay. When I asked for proof, all showed me we links to fakes that were not described as such and the bidders thought they were getting the real thing. I wrote back asking why, if he can identify reprints that labeled as such, is he trying to pass off this card as possibley real. I got the typical "Who the f*ck are you to question me and if I don't stop harrassing him that he will turn me in to eBay" lmao!!!<BR><BR>Jay

Archive
07-13-2004, 12:27 PM
Posted By: <b>hankron</b><p>An elemental example of my initial post is: say, you sell on eBay a $500 card, receive payment but never send the card. You can't deduce that this shows that nothing is worth $500, that many other eBayers now owe you $500 as you didn't send them anything either, and that some owe you $1,000 as you didn't send them anything twice.