PDA

View Full Version : Grading question on OJ cards

Archive
07-05-2004, 06:58 AM
Posted By: <b>warshawlaw&nbsp; </b><p>How would you grade the following:<BR><BR>1. Ex but with a small (1/4") triangular piece missing at one corner<BR><BR>2. Ex but with a small (1/4") of the photo layer chipped off on the bottom corner, no print affected.<BR><BR>3. vg-ex but with chipping along the edge of one side<BR><BR>I grade #1 poor, #2 fair and #3 f-g. <BR><BR>Do you grade OJs more or less strictly than non-photographic cards, or are the standards the same all around?

Archive
07-05-2004, 10:09 AM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>I agree with 1 and 2, but on 3, is the chipping from the naturall cut of the cards or from another source? My thinking is that if it is from the natural cut of the card it should affect the grade less.<BR><BR>Jay

Archive
07-05-2004, 10:31 AM
Posted By: <b>Judge Dred</b><p>Do you have any pictures that can be uploaded to this thread. <BR><BR>Example 1: Poor - but if the image is beautiful then maybe P/F.<BR><BR>Example 2: F/G to G, depending upon the rest of the card. I have one like this that was graded by SGC as a 30. My guess is the card was otherwise very nice. The image is incredible.<BR><BR>Example 3: If the chipping is minimal then I don't see why it can't be a G/VG card. If there is a fair amount of chipping (or excessive) then G.<BR><BR>N172 cards (and cartaphillic progeny from the same era) should be graded a bit differently than most cards. Obviously this issue is so much different than most other sets. For example there is more size variance in N172s than most other issues and the different style of advertisements for the same pose makes this the most challenging set to collect (if you were trying to have as many different poses and ads as possible). <BR><BR>More emphasis should be placed on the clarity and contrast of the photographic image than the actual quality of the card board that reinforces the image. I'd much rather have a card that has an outstanding image and a little wear on it than a card with a light image and razor sharp corners and a clean back. <BR>

Archive
07-05-2004, 12:07 PM
Posted By: <b>Julie Vognar</b><p>was one with a small piece of the emulsion turned back upon itself in one (lower) corner; no print was affected; I found it disfiguring, because it affected the picture.<BR><BR><BR>Many of my OJs have chipped borders; I doubt that I could get them for $300 or $600, or whatever. Just show me a Sam Thompson with a chipped border you got for 3 or 6 hundred dollars!<BR><BR>The people who have charged me lower prices have done so because the IMAGE was pale, or somewhat soft in focus. Or, in one case, there was an actual scuff on the face of the card.<BR><BR>As for the slightly miscut cards (slope on top or bottom edge), or drastically miscut (Galvin with one batwing), I have TRIED to get cheaper prices, but seller wasn't interested. These cards were obvioudsly miscut at the factory--or wherever they cut Old Judges--since one of the grading companies put a "4" on one. One was so expensive, I was afraid to mention the slight slope on the bottom border for fear I'd hear what it would have cost WITHOUT the slope!