PDA

View Full Version : Recent near acquisition

Archive
06-28-2004, 11:37 AM
Posted By: <b>Pete Z.&nbsp; </b><p>I came across a 4x8 inch photo of Babe Ruth in a Red Sox uniform this weekend at an antique show. In it he's standing, mitt in hand, with noticeable grime on his leg. The photo was faded on thick paper stock and on the back somebody wrote "Babe" and "1942" and also "195". The dealer thought it was original, i.e., from the period (late teens), and said I could return it if I wasn't satisfied. So I paid him $75 for it, and proceeded to take it to other dealers in the show for verification. Most dealers I showed it to were worried about the lack of aging on the back (it was pretty white, no yellowing). One dealer said that it was indeed an old photograph, but maybe not from the period. I finally decided to return it to the guy and he was more than happy to give me my money back. <BR><BR>My question is, how much are old uncataloged photos of the Babe? Are there a lot of them in circulation? How easy are old photos to reproduce?<BR><BR>Thanks <BR>

Archive
06-28-2004, 12:04 PM
Posted By: <b>hankron</b><p>

Archive
06-28-2004, 01:07 PM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>I bought a Ruth, Kodak-type, 1930's photo...definitely original, for about $100.00 several months ago at a small local show...I remember I posted it on the board and it was warmly received. I don't really collect photo's but this one, and the Gerhig I got at the same time, were too cool to pass up......there is some great nostalgia "feel" to these old photo's....regards

Archive
06-28-2004, 06:02 PM
Posted By: <b>nickinvegas</b><p>Pete,<BR>For $75, if the photo was produced more than 50 years ago I think it is a good deal. I would pay $125 for a photo like the one you described. If youwant to buy it and make a quick buck let me know.<BR><BR>I love photos of Ruth in his proper uniform!<BR><BR>Regards,<BR>Nick<BR><BR>nickinvegas@netscape.net