PDA

View Full Version : Matty dark cap T206's on ebay

Archive
06-25-2004, 12:37 PM
Posted By: <b>Dave</b><p>There are 5 of these cards on Ebay; two stand out:<BR><BR><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=57993&item=5103318400&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW" target=_new>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=57993&item=5103318400&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW</a><BR><BR>and<BR><BR><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31718&item=5103774328&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW" target=_new>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31718&item=5103774328&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW</a><BR><BR>I'd be interested in the wisdom and experience of the forum members about these two cards. Two questions in particular:<BR><BR>1. Which card do you like better? The first has a minor wrinkle on the right border, but really good corners. The second one's corners aren't quite as good. I personally think the colors are a little better on 1 and it gets my vote. The second has a higher grade in its slab (for what that's worth). The bidding seems about equal, but #1 ends 6/25 at 1:00 (Pacific time), while #2 has 2 1/2 days longer to run.<BR><BR><BR>This brings up my second question:<BR><BR><BR>2. What is the bidding strategy when two similar cards come up like this? Do you get agressive on the first because those who don't get it will be more agressive on the second? Or, should you wait and get one buyer out of the way for less competition?<BR><BR>Dave<BR><BR>

Archive
06-25-2004, 01:36 PM
Posted By: <b>T206Collector</b><p>...and probably the better card. I don't like buying cards on-line with sharp corners but low grades. That usually means you're missing a major flaw in the scan that would be evident in person. A, SGC 40 with corners like this one must have creasing or heavy wrinkles. The PSA 4 might have a slight wrinkle or two, but likely not as much as the SGC 40. Perhaps there is a back damage issue as well. Who knows. In any event, if its even money, go with the PSA. You could always cross it over into an SGC holder if you like. <BR><BR>With respect to your second question, I would auctionsniper.com both of them at whatever price you feel is appropriate. If you win the first, that's great. If you don't, go for the second. I doubt that there will be much spillover for those who do not get the first one. It's not graded high enough for that effect, in my opinion.<BR><BR>

Archive
06-25-2004, 04:05 PM
Posted By: <b>Jason</b><p>t206collector-<BR><BR>WRONG! I has alot of t206s recently graded by SGC. Most were 60s but I had a few 40s that came back crease free and better than "4" corners. Matter of fact I had a Paige SLGer that had better corners than all my 60s and PSA 5s that had no wrinkles and awesome registration and color! This was a clearly blown grade by SGC. All I can think of is that SGC thought is was OC too much for a 5. That is a little ironic considering they some how think it is OK to let 60/40 centered cards slip into gem 98 holders on newer stuff.

Archive
06-25-2004, 05:11 PM
Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>I don't think I'm giving away any secrets here: use a sniper service (I've had very good experience with auctionstealer.com) and group the two items together. This function allows you to bid on the earlier one and if you get it, automatically cancel your bid on the second one. <BR><BR>What I hate are the situations where you find a really tough item and successfully take it, then another one is offered a week or so later in better condition. Doh!!

Archive
06-25-2004, 08:34 PM
Posted By: <b>Jason</b><p>FYI-<BR><BR>I plan on hitting the SGC 40 Matty Sovereign 460 on a snipe so stay away! LOL<BR><BR>thanks<BR>JAson

Archive
06-25-2004, 09:05 PM
Posted By: <b>Dave</b><p>Jason, <BR><BR>Are you hilhead? I sniped with 12 seconds left; hilhead came in with 3 seconds left, raised me about $15, close to my limit. (Piedmont206) I think I paid top $ for an undergraded card, hope this is true. I'm still interested in what the PSA 4 will go for. <BR><BR>This is the third highest (estimated) $ card I am missing from a T206 set. Not counting anything scarce from the set. The 2 higher are Cobb bat off, and Matty portrait. Still need about 70 cards total. It's been fun, though; I'll be around for quite a while.<BR><BR><BR>Dave<BR>

Archive
06-26-2004, 02:24 PM
Posted By: <b>Jason</b><p>Actually I had to miss the auction. Oh well. It wasn't me.<BR><BR>JAson