PDA

View Full Version : 1947 Bond Bread - sqaure corner version

Archive
06-22-2004, 04:52 PM
Posted By: <b>Gary B.</b><p>Hey, I know this has been brought up in this forum before, but not for a little while. <BR><BR>Does anyone have any updated information/opinions on the history and/or legitimacy of the 1947 Bond Bread square corners variety? The Old Cardboard site says, "Large stash found in 1980's with square corner variations. As a result, cards are often found in very high grade."<BR><BR>I'm wondering of purchasing this variety is worthwhile or not. They look nice, but I'm only interested if they are legitimate. Have any companies graded these? Anyone?

Archive
06-22-2004, 06:51 PM
Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>I've had several of them in the past. They certainly look like first generation printings on the same stock as the others. <BR><BR>SGC used to grade them. I had a Joe Louis in very high grade. I heard that they will not do so any longer.

Archive
06-22-2004, 07:09 PM
Posted By: <b>Gary B.</b><p>So as far as you know SGC used to grade them, but won't anymore. Why would that be? What about PSA, GAI, etc. Have anyone else graded them in the past and/or do they now?

Archive
06-22-2004, 08:08 PM
Posted By: <b>hankron</b><p>Firstly, I do not beleive that the find included each card in the set. So, any suspisions that exist should not be automatically applied equaly to each card.<BR><BR>Secondly, it would be a straightforeward process to determine the legitimacy of the issue as a whole and/or pin down any problems areas. This is something I would be happy to do, except that I don't own a single Bond Bread card. This exact issue came up perhaps a year ago. I offered the same proposition then and no one approached me about looking into the cards. My guess is that the response will be essentially the same, and the exact issue will be posted in about a years time.

Archive
06-22-2004, 08:35 PM
Posted By: <b>Andy Baran</b><p>David,<BR><BR>I have a Robinson from that set that I'd be glad to send you for inspection. Please send me your address.

Archive
06-22-2004, 09:17 PM
Posted By: <b>hankron</b><p>Thanks Andy for the offer. What I'll do is to try an buy a variety of cards on eBay or elsewhere. The key is to obtain some cards from the 1980 find. If I can obtain a nice selection, I'll report my findings in the future.

Archive
06-22-2004, 10:52 PM
Posted By: <b>hankron</b><p>Looks like slim pickings on eBay. If someone wants to sell me or let me borrow a collection or selection, including short prints and some of the high grade non-SPs let me know. Can also trade for some vintage baseball autographs or something. Otherwise, I'll keep my eye on eBay ... Once I get the cards, it should just be a matter of a short look over.

Archive
06-22-2004, 11:28 PM
Posted By: <b>Julie Vognar</b><p>Would you like to look at two?<BR><BR>I also have a very sweet rounded-corner Reese. Irrelevant, huh?

Archive
06-23-2004, 11:37 AM
Posted By: <b>hankron</b><p>I don't know all the stories around the 1947 cards and I don't know why SGC discontinued grading the card (if that's the case). However, I have owned Bond Bread cards before and know how they were made. If the 1980 find are are your normal lithographic reprints, that would be easy to identify.<BR><BR>It was once suggeted by a board member-- in pure speculation perhaps-- that the 1980s find were reprints made from the original printing plates. Examination of the cardstocks, or even physical examination of the ink, should answer this question.<BR><BR>I have no proconceived notions about the issue. Also, I choose to not work in a vacuum, and like others opinions, theories, stories and angles. If anyone has an opinion or information on the issue, you are welcome to express them, here or to me personally.

Archive
06-23-2004, 12:22 PM
Posted By: <b>Hal Lewis</b><p>but I am operating under the impression that EVERY card in existence that is NOT currently is my safe-deposit box is a FAKE ... a RE-PRINT ... and WORTHLESS.<BR><BR>I have mentally cornered the World's entire sportscard market. It feels pretty cool.

Archive
06-23-2004, 01:08 PM
Posted By: <b>Anonymous</b><p>I had posted this link a while ago on the CU message boards hoping to get some additional insight on the issue. The link no longer shows the picture but this was an auction for a GAI graded Joe Louis. Unfortunately, I don't believe GAI has a population report up yet to see if they've graded any others. Would definetely be interested in hearing what you find out; I think SCD actually lists which ones were distributed in the 80's.<BR><BR>Adam<BR><BR>Incidentally, I have a vague recollection of seeing these offered back in the 80's in Tuff Stuff magazine (back when it was still newspaper form). Don't remember who was selling them but the cost was pretty cheap or they were part of a subscription package? I was just a kid back then and didn't go for it - I did pick up a number of them back in the late 90's on ebay for cheap. The pictures are OK, card stock flimsy, and the cutting was off but the set does have a nice selection of players from baseball, a few boxers and I think they had a movie star set around the same time. Personally, my guess is they are legit but what do I know. <BR><BR><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2789653492&category=55985" target=_new><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2789653492&category=55985</a" target=_new>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2789653492&category=55985</a</a>><BR><BR>