PDA

View Full Version : 1948 Leaf....Reprints v. Originals

Archive
06-20-2004, 09:56 AM
Posted By: <b>Casey&nbsp; </b><p>I am looking for some insight by those of you who are seasoned collectors regarding 1948 Leaf cards. As some of you know, I have been on the lookout for a 1948 Leaf Jackie Robinson in a 4,5,6 range. Many of the 1948 Leaf cards for sale on eBay are raw and I understand for good reason since this is an often duplicated set. <BR><BR>What cues should I look for when trying to discern a reprint from an original from scanned images?<BR><BR>I have noticed that these cards have several colored frames that create the finished product. Many times these layered colors don't line up perfectly, which creates a bit of a blurry effect. I have noticed on the Jackie Robinson '48 Leaf card that many of the graded versions have a noticeable red color slightly offset, which creates a red line along his jaw on the right side of his face along with a similar effect in his eyes. I am wondering if some of the reprints lack this characteristic since they are made differently and if that may be an indication of a lack of originality. I know the ultimate answer is to buy a graded card, but I am curious about assessing raw cards of this year. Any input by the collective would be appreciated. <BR><BR>Cheers + Happy Father's Day,<BR><BR>Casey

Archive
06-20-2004, 10:40 AM
Posted By: <b>Gary B.</b><p>One thing to watch out for is the scan itself. A scammer can just as easily grab a scan from somewhere else for a card that's not theirs, just as well as scan their own card and put it up for sale. If it isn't an obvious reprint from the scan, seriously take into consideration their history and feedback - research the seller a bit. I'm sure others here will have more intricate and constructive suggestions.

Archive
06-20-2004, 10:43 AM
Posted By: <b>Dan Mckee</b><p>Remember that the print on back must be black, there are some good looking fronts with green print on back and these are NO GOOD.

Archive
06-20-2004, 11:02 AM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>I know this doesn't help for eBay auctions, but the easiest way to tell if a Leaf is real or not is turn it on edge. The card is made of 2 distinctly diffent pieces of cardboard. One gray, the other white. Reprints will not have this.<BR><BR>Jay

Archive
06-20-2004, 11:14 AM
Posted By: <b>hankron</b><p>In general, most reprints in an online auction-- whether it's of a T206 or a 1955 Bowman-- simply don't look right to someone who closely follows cards, both collecting and watching online auctions. For example, irrelevant to the issues of the color of the borders versus the color in the image, most 1915 Cracker Jack reprint simply don't look genuine. Most T206 and Allen & Ginter reprints simply don't look good.<BR><BR>By the actively collecting and avidly following online auctions of real material, collectors will gain an eye that will help them to detect fakes.<BR><BR>As Gary suggested, you should also look at the seller and the quality of the description. There are many, many collectors who see no difference between buying a raw Cap Anson Old Judge from Lew Lipset and buying it from a seller who specializes in beanie babies. No joke.