PDA

View Full Version : How can you authenticate strip cards?

Archive
06-14-2004, 07:29 PM
Posted By: <b>Gary B.</b><p>Forgive me for my questions, as I am new to old cards, as it were. I just purchased 3 W-series strip cards, 2 of Ruth and 1 of Cobb, all of which I haven't recieved yet in the mail. How can I tell if they're authentic or not? For that matter, how do companies like PSA, etc. tell whether or not a card is real? Are there ALWAYS discernable differences between originals and copies? Do they do some kind of carbon-dating? I know my questions are perhaps quite naive, but again, I'm new to this, and any assistance would be greatly appreciated.<BR><BR>In the world of late 60's San Francisco poster art, one can buy books that talk about the original posters, and every known alternate version of each poster; authorized 2nd and 3rd printings, unauthorized reprints, etc., with all the differentiating factors that can assist the neophyte in discerning the subtleties between the various versions legit and non-legit out there. Are there such references for baseball cards, especially pre-1950's cards? Does PSA even grade strip cards? I know SGC does...<BR><BR>Lastly, what are strip cards? From what little information I've picked up so far, they were cards originally printed in strips (duh!) that you had to cut, which is why they are often cut so badly. Somoene told me you didn't get these with tobacco or candy or gum or anything, but they had dispensers where you put in a penny or whatever, and the strips came out. Is this true? Do uncut strips ever come up for sale? How are these cards considered in the old baseball card collecting world? Are they considered 2nd class citizens next to T-series cards?<BR><BR>Thanks, any assistance would be appreciated...

Archive
06-15-2004, 01:26 AM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>The crude art and general low quality of strip cards tends to make them far less desirable than tobacco and candy issues. Complete strips can be found, but they are getting harder to find as people cut them up to to submit to the grading companies. But don't let the second class status fool you. HOFers can be had at a reasonable price, but nice commons can cost just as much as t-cards, if not more.<BR><BR>Jay