PDA

View Full Version : World Tobacco Index

Archive
06-08-2004, 08:43 AM
Posted By: <b>FatBoy</b><p>Searched the web to no avail.<BR><BR>An old collector friend's wife (he passed away several years ago) just called me and told me shes moving and getting stuff together for sending to an auction house.<BR><BR>Anyway, she found a couple copies of the Wrapper and some other old collecting related publications, stopping in tomorrow night to see whats there. She also mentioned she found 3 volumes of the World Tobacco Index. I've always wanted a set of these and told her I'd be very interested in them.<BR><BR>I'd like to give her a fair price for them and wondered if the set is complete at 3 volumes?<BR><BR>Thanks for any help, Keith<BR><BR>

Archive
06-08-2004, 09:34 AM
Posted By: <b>Tom Boblitt</b><p>I think there are 5 volumes but I can't be for sure. I bought a copy of the volume with Old Judges from David Grimes for like $30 or so brand new. It was hardbacked. I would think $15-$20 per volume would be fair. I think they were like $150 or something new from the manufacturer over in England.

Archive
06-08-2004, 11:01 AM
Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>they have links to the WTI. Note that the WTI is not like our books. They never revise the base edition, instead issuing updates in new volumes. So, it is never really complete. <BR><BR>The old books and periodicals are getting more love nowadays. Do a search on this site;there was a string recently that had the issue discussed.

Archive
06-08-2004, 02:38 PM
Posted By: <b>Judge Dred</b><p>All I want is the N172 index and how they are cataloged. Is there a way to just get this information?<BR><BR>

Archive
06-08-2004, 02:53 PM
Posted By: <b>AdamBaxter</b><p><BR><BR><BR>Abebooks.com has 6 listings, two are for 3 volume groups/sets:<BR><BR><a href="http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?&ph=2&imageField.y=0&imageField.x=0&tn=World+tobacco+Index&cmid=hp-search-form&sts=t" target=_new>http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?&ph=2&imageField.y=0&imageField.x=0&tn=World+tobacco+Index&cmid=hp-search-form&sts=t</a><BR><BR>Bookfinder.com has a few listings as well, but I believe the two listings for the 3 volume sets are the same as those listed with ABEbooks.com.<BR><BR><a href="http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?author=&title=World+tobacco+Index++&submit=Begin+Search&new_used=*&currency=USD&mode=basic&st=sr&ac=qr" target=_new>http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?author=&title=World+tobacco+Index++&submit=Begin+Search&new_used=*&currency=USD&mode=basic&st=sr&ac=qr</a><BR><BR>The 3 volumes sets will run you at least 200+<BR><BR>Regards,<BR> Adam

Archive
06-08-2004, 03:07 PM
Posted By: <b>AdamBaxter</b><p>Dennis Purdy wrote a great article about the World Index in VCBC #32. He listed the set complete at 5 volumes.

Archive
06-09-2004, 07:02 AM
Posted By: <b>Jeff O</b><p>There are indeed five volumes.... some have also been reprinted. I bought my run through the Cartophilic Society a number of years ago... if I remember, with the cost of joining, shipping, etc the set ran me around $250.<BR><BR>Jeff

Archive
06-09-2004, 08:21 AM
Posted By: <b>FatBoy</b><p>thanks everyone. i'll let everyone know what other literature is there too.<BR><BR>keith<BR>

Archive
06-10-2004, 06:54 AM
Posted By: <b>FatBoy</b><p>I've decided i don't want any of these books. Didn't want them being sent to auction where I knew they wouldn't bring anything or even be appreciated for that matter, so I told her I'd offer them here and just give her what someones willing to pay. I'll take best emailed offer by the end of the weekend (Sunday the 13th). In addition to the following books, there was a 1960 hardback edition of the ACC with dust jacket that I didn't take. If anyone is interested in that at a fair price, email me immediately and I'll be happy to call her before it gets loaded on to the auction trailer. No dust jackets on any of them, but some have inserts in them for other publications. Heres what is being offered:<BR><BR>1. The World Index part I, II, III. All hardback, all nice. Although there are many dates in these, best I can determine is they were printed in 1990. All in EX condition, look new to me.<BR><BR>2. "Cigarette Crads and How To Collect Them" by I. O. Evans.Herbert Jenkins Limited, 3 Duke of York Street, St. James's London S. W. Printed in Great Britain by Wyman & Sons, Ltd, London. 157 pages, all British issues and ATC issued abroad. VG-EX condition.<BR><BR>3. "British Cigarette Card Issues 1888-1919" Handbook part I (for use with catalogue of comparative values part 1). Compiled by C. L. Bagnall and E. C. Wharton-Tigar. Reproduced in 1980 by Lithography for The London Cigarette Card Co. Ltd. Looks new.<BR><BR>4. "British Cigarette Card Issues 1920-1940". Handbook part II. Sister book to above, looks new.<BR><BR>5. "America's Most Wanted Collectibles" July 95. "The Wrapper" Oct 1 - Nov 15 1994. Both these are paper hobby publications. Good reading.<BR><BR>Mrs Reuter will pay the shipping. 1 price for all is what I'm looking for. Keith<BR>