PDA

View Full Version : I am just sick of this (T206 pack)

Archive
06-08-2004, 07:44 PM
Posted By: <b>Scott Bob&nbsp; </b><p>I am very sick of jerryjersey on ebay. He once again used his magic and alterated a so-called "unopened" "t206" pack. He onced erased the last two digits of the year on the tax stamp to make it as a "t206" pack. He had claimed multiple times of non-t206 era "unopened" tobacco packs that has T206 Cobb or Wagner in them. Now, he took a tax stamp from other source and glued it onto an rough shape opened Sovereign tobacco box and claim it as unopened. jerryjersey only provide close up scans of the "worked" tax stamp side. However, we can still clearly see the paper seal on the other side is broken and incomplete.<BR>Is there somehow we can stop this guy???<BR><BR><BR><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=44&item=3294718705&rd=1" target=_new>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=44&item=3294718705&rd=1</a><BR><BR>[edited to add title context]

Archive
06-08-2004, 08:01 PM
Posted By: <b>hankron</b><p>His Cobb photo is significantly misidentified.

Archive
06-08-2004, 08:16 PM
Posted By: <b>Julie</b><p>.......

Archive
06-08-2004, 08:18 PM
Posted By: <b>Richard Dwyer</b><p>1901 Tax Stamp was overprinted til 1908. 1910 Overprinting. (Still laughing)

Archive
06-08-2004, 09:23 PM
Posted By: <b>Mike P.</b><p>I actually kept correspondence with the winner of this auction from the same seller:<BR><BR><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3288352368" target=_new>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3288352368</a><BR><BR>I was curious to know if indeed there would be a card and I got an email from him yesterday:<BR><BR>Mike,<BR> I opened the cigarette pack and there was a nice card of Izzy Hoffman t206 white border. Although the exterior of the pack was perfect the card did have a bend in the top half...oh well, it was fun to gamble!!!!!!!<BR><BR>I guess the question is if he is tampering with packs is he putting in cards as well?<BR> <BR>

Archive
06-09-2004, 06:55 AM
Posted By: <b>Jon Canfield</b><p>If I remember correctly, the picture of the pack in which the buyer puleld a T-206 couldn't possibly have had a card. (Actually I guess I can't recall any of Jersey's auctions that had the possibility of a card). He must be "stuffing" them.

Archive
06-09-2004, 07:03 AM
Posted By: <b>Jon Canfield</b><p>Look closely at the tax stamp... I'm at work right now so I can't compare to my overprinted boxes at home but a couple things stick out in my mind. <BR><BR>#1: I believe all overprints not only have the date, but are also overprinted with the factory and number. If you look at the last picture, it clearly looks like the factory overprint is 17_? or something like that. It is, without doubt, NOT factory 40. So, without any doubt, it appears as through this pack has the wrong tax stamp. <BR><BR>#2: Second thing I noticed... The top part of the overprint that has the factory number is very blurry, as if it was wet and smeared. Yet, the date portion below clearly says 1910. Hmmmm? Did someone was that factory number off?<BR><BR>#3: I have never really inspected printing on the tax stamps but it looks pretty clear that the top of the tax stamp is in a different font than the date. Maybe all tax stamps are that way - I wouldn't know without checking later tonight. However, it could be possible that he added the date himself. I have a magenta ink pad at home and the color is pretty darn close to the overprinted color - it would be possible, albeit difficult.<BR><BR>#4: Lastly, I am pretty sure that the overprint for this pack should be in black, not magenta. Again - leads to the theory it was added after!<BR><BR>Just some thoughts - any other opinions?

Archive
06-09-2004, 07:06 AM
Posted By: <b>HalleyGator</b><p>He is STUFFING the packs with very low value T206 cards so that nobody can complain that their pack did not contain a card.<BR><BR>Then again ... I guess he has to have some "mint" condition T206 cards to put in there ...<BR><BR>because even a moron would be suspicious of a card coming straight out of the pack with rounded corners, trimming, creases and a hole in it.

Archive
06-09-2004, 08:19 AM
Posted By: <b>scott</b><p>Its about time that what I felt ( can't prove ) was tampering by this seller ( and other sellers of old packs on ebay) is coming out into the open. Anyone can buy an old tax stamp and affix it to an older looking pack. John - I'm in your camp on this one. Novice buyer's will take the brunt on this . Its a sad state of affairs and gives a black eye to the hobby once again.

Archive
06-09-2004, 12:34 PM
Posted By: <b>tbob</b><p>He pays $1025 for a tobacco pack which might not be as described and pulls a VG to VGEX Hoffman out and says, "oh well, it's fun to gamble." Yikes!

Archive
06-09-2004, 01:07 PM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>Wish I had that kind of money to gamble with. It's a good thing I am looking for crappy cards at cheap prices.<BR><BR>Jay

Archive
06-09-2004, 01:14 PM
Posted By: <b>HalleyGator</b><p>More likely ... the guy might have been a SHILL BIDDER who never really paid the money and got the card?

Archive
06-09-2004, 02:04 PM
Posted By: <b>hankron</b><p>In the end, it's up to the bidder. In bidding, it's not just a matter of authenticity or fake, but whether or not you are going to place a bid. There's never anything you have to place a bid on-- and considering the amount of material on eBay and elsewhere, you are actively picking and choosing where to place your limited bids. Sometimes you say, "It may be genuine, but I just don't know enough about the subject to bid that amount of money. I'll bid on some other stuff instead."<BR><BR>If someone's going to take a wild chance on a $10 item or an occasional calculated chance on a $50 item, that can be great. I take calculated chances myself. But if someone is dropping five figure bids on esoteric material he is ignorant about, that's his issue.

Archive
06-09-2004, 05:57 PM
Posted By: <b>hankron</b><p>Note to self: Do not bid $1 million on a gilded Estonian triptych until I find out what is a gilded Estonian triphtych.

Archive
06-09-2004, 06:23 PM
Posted By: <b>Max Weder</b><p> a "gilded Estonian triptych", whose meaning is plain and obvious<BR><BR>triptych - A painting or carving that has three side-by-side parts, panels,<BR>or canvases (My wife explained this to me long ago, but then again, she's the artist)<BR><BR><BR>Luckily, e-bay has no such beasts for sale at the moment.<BR><BR>Max