PDA

View Full Version : t206 opinion

Archive
05-13-2004, 09:19 PM
Posted By: <b>823dek&nbsp; </b><p>Just hoping to get some input from some fellow and felee vintage folks. I saw a group of t206's that didnt open last night and I ended up emailing this guy and working out a deal for a small group of them. He said to me that he hoped that they didn't open as he really only needed to recoup about 5000.00 and had plenty of offers that would let him keep 50 or so plus and still he would get the money he needed.<BR><BR>I have not sent him any money of yet. He did send me some large scans and they look really nice but I wondered why they were not graded. If your trying to get the most out of your cards ( selling wise ) wouldn't most have them graded if they are pristine ? I like to give most people the benefit of the doubt , but ...hmmmm. <BR><BR>THE ITEM # 4129356191 also, he purchased a red Cobb w/ a Red Cross back and I told him right away that it was fake and he said well its only 200.00$. I also told him that the same guy he purchased that from had a fake Magie error card and as I was just about to tell the guy to pull that card , my phone rang, it was this guy Im talking about....I told him that the guy was also selling this fake Magie error card and he said he was going to take a chance and buy it and the kid ended up selling it to him for 50$....which of course is bologna, but after all this do these t206's look legit ? Thanks All from Dan Koteles

Archive
05-13-2004, 09:52 PM
Posted By: <b>petecld</b><p>Dan,<BR><BR>My 2 cents:<BR><BR>The borders of those cards seem a little too small and if the cards are so amazing then, like you said, why aren't they graded or at the very least why doesn't he put up better images.<BR><BR>Throw in what you said about his comfort level buying fake cards there is no way I would send someone like that $50, let alone $5,000. <BR><BR>It's T206 cards...is it worth the gamble? Not to me.

Archive
05-14-2004, 12:09 AM
Posted By: <b>Judge Dred</b><p>The sellers description states that some of these haven't seen the outside of a safe for 20 years.... <BR><BR>I purchased a lot of cards 20 years ago and some of them I am just starting to look at again and finding that my eye was not that discriminating 20 years ago... <BR><BR>I've found some cards that are obviously trimmed, but 20 years ago I didn't notice because back then I wouldn't have felt someone would been to trying to pull one over on a fellow collector... I guess those little modifications were being done, even then. The funny part is that I remember who I bought a batch of them from and the guy was a respected dealer back then.... no names to be mentioned... Now I wish I never pulled those cards out for viewing after 20 years...

Archive
05-14-2004, 01:43 AM
Posted By: <b>Lee Behrens</b><p>In the infamous words of Monty Python: "Runaway" Too many red flags here.

Archive
05-14-2004, 10:22 PM
Posted By: <b>wf</b><p>I have some T206's that I am thinking about selling. I am trying to figure out the best way to get a fair price for my cards. Any suggestions as to how I should proceed?

Archive
05-14-2004, 11:17 PM
Posted By: <b>steve k</b><p>Dan - this guy has &quot;fraud&quot; etched on his forehead. There could be pages written on the reasons. Don't even think about it - don't send him a nickel.<br><br>About that $200 Cobb card that he &quot;bought.&quot; He didn't really buy that card. There are certain ebayers who use multiple accounts and other buddies to bid up their items or make it appear that they bought or sold something. He knows that you are going to look at the items that he has bought and sold especially when possibly spending $5,000. Again - avoid this guy like the plague.

Archive
05-15-2004, 07:43 PM
Posted By: <b>823dek</b><p><BR><BR>Steve...You are very right as the cards (Hof's) had gotten relisted item # 4131591316. I havent not sent any money and usually do not need an extra eye, but they did look good and to good to be true. <BR><BR>I threw alot of questions at him and did get some swaying into changing the subject. He claims to be very professional ,but continuously referred to me as bro.<BR><BR>This is definetely the place for vintage help as there is alot of kindness in making sure we look out for one another. Thanks all for helping me w/ my decision and saving me money and possible GRIEF !!! <BR><BR>Steve...the guy that he bought the fake red cross Cobb had bid on his lot like you said on . I asked him how that he could have such immaculate cards and saying he needed money and then buys a reprint that I told him was bad ...ugh !<BR><BR>Noticed that he pulled his items already foe whatever reason...watch out all and thanks again. Dan Koteles

Archive
05-15-2004, 09:24 PM
Posted By: <b>steve k</b><p>Dan - I'm glad that the transaction &quot;didn't&quot; work out for you. He has another listing for a Ty Cobb card lot under ebay #4131682288 using the escrow account scam. Everyone sending money to that escrow account will never see their money again. This guy is a highly sophisticated arch-criminal. I hope that you didn't give out any of your bank account numbers or other information to him. If you did, call your bank first thing Monday morning, explain the situation and they will take the necessary steps to assure that your money doesn't windup getting transferred to some bank account in Nigeria.

Archive
05-16-2004, 07:08 AM
Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>They are a total scam and create massive fraud. I know of one collector who got scammed out of a very rare and expensive card by an English con artist who set up a fake escrow and got the card shipped out with (suprise) no money there. <BR><BR>Real escrow agents are state-licensed and regulated, and insured by their states against theft or forced to post bonds. Their bona fides can be checked independently through their state regulatory agencies. If the seller thinks escrow is really necessary, insist upon the use of an actual licensed escrow agent in your state, and give the seller information to independently contact and verify the escrow holder's credentials. <BR><BR>Another route to go for a big ticket item is to hire an attorney in the area where the seller is located to act as intermediary. Attorneys have client trust accounts that can be used to clear transactional funds (I do it all the time in handling litigation settlements) and also are bound by law to follow through with deals on both ends once the parties sign instructions. It should cost about the same as an escrow would. Attorneys typically are required to financially obligate themselves to some portion of client claims (here in CA it is $50,000) or have insurance, and can also be checked out independently with the state bar.