PDA

View Full Version : baseball research help

Archive
05-04-2004, 07:12 PM
Posted By: <b>Andy Cook</b><p>Does anyone know what year(s) these players played for the teams listed, or if in fact they ever did (should be around 1914-16ish)? Any help is appreciated.<BR>Thanks,<BR>Andy<BR><BR>Bill Chapelle - Brooklyn (not sure if Fed or NL)<BR>Larry Chappel - Cleveland<BR>Jack Dunn - Baltimore<BR>Tim Jordan - Ft Worth or Toronto<BR>Joe Kelley - Toronto

Archive
05-04-2004, 07:49 PM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>No listing for a Bill Chapelle in the majors.<BR><BR>Larry Chappel: 3 games for Clevland in 1926<BR><BR>Jack Dunn: must have been with Baltimore as minor leaguer. No stint with them in the NL or the AL when they had MLB teams<BR><BR>Jordan: Can't help with minor legue teams<BR><BR>Kelley is easy enough, 1912, since he appears in the c46 set.<BR><BR>Jay

Archive
05-04-2004, 08:11 PM
Posted By: <b>Tom L.</b><p>Jack Dunn played with Baltimore (AL) in 1901 (previously with Brooklyn)<BR><BR>Took over as player/manager of the Eastern League (later International League) Orioles in 1907. Ended up buying the team from Ned Hanlon, and served as owner/manager until he died of a heart attack in 1928.<BR><BR>Tom

Archive
05-04-2004, 08:20 PM
Posted By: <b>Kevin O</b><p>Bill Chapelle played for the Brooklyn Tip Tops in the 1914 Federal League. I'm pretty sure Larry Chappel's cup of coffee with the Tribe was in 1916. There is a record of a Jack Dunn playing nine games with Baltimore, but that was in 1901. Jordan retired from the Superbas in 1910 due to injury, so it's unlikely he appeared on a later card as a player. As Jay said, Kelley is in the c46 set.

Archive
05-04-2004, 08:43 PM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>Finally found Bill "Chappelle". I could have sworn I looked it upw ith too p's too, but missed it. He was 4-2 for Brooklyn and had been out of teh majors for 5 years prior to joining the Tip Tops.<BR><BR>Jay

Archive
05-05-2004, 07:17 PM
Posted By: <b>Andy Cook</b><p>Thanks for the help on the players I listed to start this thread. I have a few more I'm trying to learn more about. A little background, I'm obsessed with the T213-2 set (anyone have some they'd like to trade, I need about 40?) and I'm just doing research on the players and teams. I'm stumped on these, again I'm trying to figure out what year(s) these players played for the listed teams. Thanks,<BR>Andy<BR><BR>Billy Campbell - Browns (I believe the closest he came to the Browns was playing for the Cards in 1905, his last year in ML was 1909)<BR><BR>Ed Summers - Brooklyn Fed (note his last ML year was 1912 and then he went to the minors, I can't find any record of him playing for the Brooklyn Feds)<BR><BR>Harry Krause - Omaha<BR>Admiral Schlei - Memphis<BR>Boss Schmidt - Mobile<BR>Gabby Street - Nashville<BR>Bill Sweeney - Red Sox<BR>Jeff or Ed Sweeney - Richmond<BR>Jack Warhop - Cardinals

Archive
05-06-2004, 01:45 AM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>There is a Rudolph "Rudy" Sommers (Summers) listed on the Brookfeds roster.<BR><BR>Got nothing showing Billy Campbell with Browns<BR><BR>There are 3 different Bill Sweeney's, but I assume you mean the one that played from 1907-13. He never played for the Red Sox, only the Braves.<BR><BR>Warhop spent his whole career with the Yankees.<BR><BR>Can't help with the minor leagues. My research material in that area is very limited.<BR><BR>Jay