PDA

View Full Version : Cuban Card Question for Ryan Christoff or Anybody

Archive
05-05-2004, 12:07 PM
Posted By: <b>scgaynor</b><p>Ryan, I just tried to e-mail you, but the message was boucned back. <BR><BR>What is the year of issue and name of that set with color photos on really thin stock with advertising on the back for Casa Vassallo and Onda Deportiva? Its the one where Buck O'Neil is #A-8.<BR><BR>Thanks<BR><BR>Scott

Archive
05-05-2004, 12:31 PM
Posted By: <b>Kenny Cole</b><p>Scott,<BR><BR>It's the 1946/47 Almanaque Deportivo set.<BR><BR>Kenny Cole

Archive
05-05-2004, 12:56 PM
Posted By: <b>scgaynor</b><p>Thanks, I have always been a bit fuzzy on that set. I had a album one time with some cards pasted in, but do you know how it was issued, or why the cards are always handcut?<BR><BR>Scott

Archive
05-05-2004, 02:42 PM
Posted By: <b>Ryan Christoff</b><p>Scott,<BR><BR>Kenny's right about the year and name. "Almanaque Deportivo" was the name of a magazine. It was smaller than a normal magazine but bigger than a digest (like a TV Guide). For several issues during the 1946-47 season they issued cards on sheets inside the magazine. The sheets had 4 players on each one. Some issues had only 1 sheet, some 2, and one had 4 sheets for a total of 16 cards in a single issue.<BR><BR>What is interesting is that the magazine changed its format to a regular magazine size in the middle of the season and never figured out a way to produce the rest of the cards as inserts for the larger magazine. <BR><BR>So the album the cards were meant to be pasted into once they were cut from the sheets has spaces for players like Ray Dandridge and Adolfo Luque who never had cards produced. <BR><BR>I guess the long answer to why they always have weird cuts is that they were all handcut from sheets, probably by children.<BR><BR>-Ryan<BR><BR>

Archive
05-05-2004, 09:55 PM
Posted By: <b>scgaynor</b><p>Thanks makes sense. Thanks for your help.<BR><BR>Scott