PDA

View Full Version : OT... Possible New T206'ers in the HOF

Archive
04-30-2004, 05:03 PM
Posted By: <b>Scottopotamus</b><p>FYI...<BR><BR>The Veteran's Committee list for the 2005 HOF election has recently been issued and eight (8) players in the T206 are on the list.<BR><BR>Ginger Beaumont<BR>Gavvy Cravath<BR>Bill Dahlen<BR>Larry Doyle<BR>Deacon Phillippe<BR>Jack Quinn<BR>Ed Reulbach<BR>Johnny Kling<BR><BR>Personally, I don't think any of them will make it, but at least it's nice to know they have made it this far in the selection process.<BR><BR>The entire list is in the link below.<BR><BR><a href="http://baseballhalloffame.org/hofers_and_honorees/veterans/2005_LIST.htm" target=_new>http://baseballhalloffame.org/hofers_and_honorees/veterans/2005_LIST.htm</a><br><br>Scottoptamus<BR>My T206 Web Site<BR><BR><a href="http://www.freewebs.com/scottopotamus" target=_new>http://www.freewebs.com/scottopotamus</a>

Archive
04-30-2004, 06:51 PM
Posted By: <b>Julie</b><p>How do you get to be <BR>"elligible"?

Archive
04-30-2004, 11:49 PM
Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>Munson, O'Doul, Ferrell, Hodges, Stovey, Torre, Wood

Archive
05-01-2004, 02:10 AM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>Stovey has been getting a lot of strong consideration the past few years. Tony Mullane is another 19c player warrants another look.<BR><BR>Jay

Archive
05-01-2004, 09:07 AM
Posted By: <b>Ben</b><p>I'm rooting for Mullane partially because I just got his OJ (thanks John- your Corcoran is on the way!) and also because his stats really are HOF worthy.

Archive
05-01-2004, 10:18 AM
Posted By: <b>John(z28jd)</b><p>Im rooting for Mullane too.You have to know if he knew that 300 wins would get him into the Hall of Fame which didnt exist at the time,that he wouldve stuck around to accomplish it.<BR><BR>The fact that he sat out a whole season thats surrounded by 30+ win seasons shouldnt be held against him,and the fact that he was a good enough hitter to play frequently in the field should work for him.<BR><BR>The ironic part about him just missing out on 300 wins is,if you are able to find any of his obits,they all mentioned him as a 300 game winner.Dont know where they got those extra 15-16 wins from but if he was thought to be a 300 game winner,how come he wasnt elected to the hall of fame around the time he died.The sympathy vote works sometimes and alot of old players gained election in 45-46(he died in 44)

Archive
05-01-2004, 11:04 AM
Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>It isn't Lefty's fault that he was a crappy pitcher for several years. He did seven seasons in the majors and came away with 2 batting titles and a .349 BA. He was then a major presence in the PCL. He was instrumental in elevating Japanese baseball to professional level (he even named the Giants, their marquee franchise). Plus, he had a great bar in SF where the bartenders throw receipts across the room and right in front of you--really amazing to watch (OK, not a HOF issue, but thought I'd mention it). In short, Lefty was a great presence in baseball history and it is a crying shame that he isn't enshrined as a contributor.

Archive
05-01-2004, 11:48 AM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>Yeah, Lefty O'Doul belong for everything he did as a player and asa pioneer to bring the game to the rest of world. Lefty, like a lot of good players from out West, spent a lot of their career in the PCL beucase they could make just as much, or more money in the PCL then they could in The Majors. And the PCL prior to WW2 was more than just a bunch AAA level teams, many of them were better than many of the MLB teams.<BR><BR>Jay

Archive
05-01-2004, 12:51 PM
Posted By: <b>I Like the Old Stuff</b><p>19th Century players worthy:<BR><BR>Van Haltren - Look at the numbers - WOW!!!<BR><BR>O'Neil - Arguably one of the greatest offensive seasons in anyones career; a lifetime .300 hitter, not bad at all.<BR><BR>Caruthers - 9 Seasons as a pitcher that produced one of the highest lifetime win percentages.<BR><BR><BR>Move on the 20th century:<BR><BR>Cravath - 6 HR titles in 7 years!!! OK, he wasn't a great fielder but he sure could clobber the ball in the dead ball era.<BR><BR>Mays - His pitch may have taken out Chapman but he still had an illustrious career.<BR><BR>Bob Johnson - 8 xs 100 RBI seasons and a career slugging pct of over .500 and he's still not in there. I don't understand this one at all either.<BR><BR>Sure there's more but that's a pretty worthy start considering some of the players that have been enshrined for lesser reasons.

Archive
05-01-2004, 08:46 PM
Posted By: <b>Paul M</b><p>For my two cents, I totally agree with everyone on Mullane, but how could they leave Bobby Mathews off the list entirely ? 297 wins and one of the best pitchers in the underrepresented 1870's era.

Archive
05-03-2004, 12:54 AM
Posted By: <b>J Levine</b><p>The Hall of Fame overlooks every year Sherry Magee...His numbers are great (better than some centerfielders already in the hall). He had speed, a good arm, could hit, and had good defense. Please, somebody at the Hall needs to look at him more closely.