PDA

View Full Version : Sad day in sports...

Archive
04-23-2004, 08:52 AM
Posted By: <b>Jon Canfield&nbsp; </b><p>I was sitting in class today when I saw this headline...<BR><BR><a href="http://abcnews.go.com/sections/US/Sports/tillman_afghanistan040423-1.html" target=_new>http://abcnews.go.com/sections/US/Sports/tillman_afghanistan040423-1.html</a><BR><BR>Even though this has nothing to do with vintage cards, it is still a story about sports. Here's a guy who turned down $9 million to fight for our country and ended up giving his life for it. In my eyes, he's a real sports hero...

Archive
04-23-2004, 11:12 AM
Posted By: <b>david</b><p>he is a real hero, sports has nothing to do with it.

Archive
04-23-2004, 11:17 AM
Posted By: <b>tbob</b><p>Eddie Grant has already given him a hug in heaven. If you don't know who Eddie was and his story, shame on you...

Archive
04-23-2004, 12:07 PM
Posted By: <b>Nickinvegas</b><p>"Captain Eddie Grant was the only Major League baseball player killed in action during the Great War. Known as 'Harvard Eddie' during his ten-year career as a second baseman with the New York Giants, Grant had retired in 1916 to practice law in New York City."<BR><BR>-Worldwar1.com<BR><BR>Tillman,like all the other Americans who are serving or have made the ultimate saccrifice are the real hero's! We are lucky to have had a guy like him on our side. <BR><BR><BR>Nick<BR><BR>

Archive
04-23-2004, 09:05 PM
Posted By: <b>willy1</b><p>He is a big time hero. He not only gave his life for his country but he gave a very good life. I respect and thank all vets because they are all 10x the man that I could ever hope to be but he made millions, was idolized, had a new wife, was great at football and humbly walked away from all of that. The fact that he never held a press conference is really proof of his exceptional character. There was no ego or greater glory at all in making his decision. He just felt it was right to go off and fight for poor shleps like me. He is one of the great heros of my lifetime.<BR><BR>Thank you Pat!