PDA

View Full Version : T5 Pinkertons (trying again)

Archive
04-20-2004, 08:53 AM
Posted By: <b>Tim Newcomb</b><p>What can you experts tell me about this set? Does anyone have any of them? How tough are they, really?<BR><BR>I just BINed one from ebay. Did I overpay for it?<BR><BR>But mostly I'd just like to hear about your experiences with it, if any, since I'm a total T5 newbie.<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR><BR>Tim<BR><BR><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4125773714&category=31719&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWN%3AIT&rd=1" target=_new>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4125773714&category=31719&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWN%3AIT&rd=1</a>

Archive
04-20-2004, 09:40 AM
Posted By: <b>Jimmy Scott Elkins</b><p>Wish I would have seen that one! Anyway, these are exceedingly rare. I am still kicking myself over not going after a T5 Cobb Cabinet a few years ago in a Mastronet auction (the cool one with him leaping to catch a ball). I believe the card went for under or around $3k - which was a steal, especially in the nice condition it was in. Most of the time when you do see these, you see the postcard "reprints". Fortunately, the value for these has not approached anywhere near their rarity yet (I guess because they are so rare that people tend to collect T3's - something they stand a chance of completing a set of). These are way undervalued in my opinion and I TRULY believe you acquired yours at a terrific price! People may argue, but I would estimate that these TRUE T5 Cabinets are OVER 100 times rarer than a T3. I remember a few years ago on the old bulletin board I talked about how undervalued T216 VA Extra cards were and they were rarer than T206 Drum backs - look at their prices in the SCD now!!!!!!!!!

Archive
04-20-2004, 12:14 PM
Posted By: <b>hankron</b><p>Tim, the T5s are rare, and unique in style (real photo cabinet cards) for 20th century tobacco cards. I wouldn't think you overpaid.

Archive
04-20-2004, 02:27 PM
Posted By: <b>Tom Boblitt</b><p>dozen of them or so......had a nice Cobb and sold it and recently sold Mack and a couple others. Still have 3-4 HOFers and about 7-8 'commons'. 4-5 of my commons are in NRMT condition and I would place the value in the $400-$500 or more range on them, so I think you paid a fair price. Had I seen it first, I would have definitely BIN'ed it myself. Email me if you're interested in more..........

Archive
04-20-2004, 09:35 PM
Posted By: <b>Patrick McMenemy</b><p>Tim:<BR><BR>You did well. I have been looking for an Ira Thomas for my collection for a few years. Unfortunately, the only time that I have seen one was in a large lot auction.<BR><BR>Mike Wheat has had a couple for sale on his site for awhile. <BR><BR>As Lew Lipset mentions in his book, the quality control for the issue varied greatly. Some have a beautiful mount and others look like they were attached to construction paper.<BR><BR>Nice pickup.

Archive
04-20-2004, 09:46 PM
Posted By: <b>prewarsports</b><p>You see the Pinkertons without the mount that either have blank backs or scorecard backs quite often. I have always wondered with the variance that you find in the mounts, how can you tell if someone has not just bought one of the scorecard backs (which are much cheaper) and affixed to a period mount? Is there anything in particular about the mount that you should look for to make sure the entire piece is legit such as paper stock of the photo etc?

Archive
04-20-2004, 10:11 PM
Posted By: <b>hankron</b><p>The scorecards are photoengraving prints, meaning the images have a dot pattern. The genuine T5s are real photo, meaning there is no dot or similar printed pattern.