PDA

View Full Version : thoughts

Archive
12-05-2003, 09:13 AM
Posted By: <b>Joel</b><p><BR>What should a bidder think about a line in an auction like this.....<BR><BR>"WE WILL NOT GIVE OUT THE RESERVE UNTIL THE AUCTION IS OVER!!!!!!! "<BR><BR><BR>Is this legal? It sounds like they can decide at any time whether to really sell the card.<BR><BR>Any thoughts?<BR>

Archive
12-05-2003, 09:35 AM
Posted By: <b>Rob M</b><p>They establish a hidden reserve when they set up the auction. Once a bid hits that number they are locked in and have to sell. It's just that a lot of bidders will try to email them before the auction is over to ask what the reserve is. They don't want people trying to do that as it defeats the purpose of the hidden reserve.

Archive
12-05-2003, 10:03 AM
Posted By: <b>Joel</b><p><BR><BR>this auction does not actually have an offical ebay "reserve not met" or "reserve met" url. the words i quoted in the original post are in the body of the description. It appears that there is no reserve as related to ebay but there is a reserve when described in the lower text.<BR><BR>i wish i could find the link......errrrrrr<BR><BR>

Archive
12-05-2003, 10:23 AM
Posted By: <b>Rob M</b><p>1) They mistakenly left that standard "reserve" note in their text, or...<BR>2) They meant to have a reserve and forgot to input it when setting up the auction, or...<BR>3) They meant it just as you described - which is illegal under ebay rules.

Archive
12-05-2003, 10:51 AM
Posted By: <b>Julie</b><p>.....

Archive
12-05-2003, 01:50 PM
Posted By: <b>Joel</b><p><BR>I have seen this often on T206's. It is one of the sellers common habits.<BR><BR>I will find the link.

Archive
12-05-2003, 03:00 PM
Posted By: <b>Brian Weisner</b><p><BR> Hi Joel,<BR> I think ya'll are referring to the theantmanltd 's auctions. They use the same verbage in all of there auctions Reserve or not. I have bought 10-15 T206's from them without any problems. <BR>I don't think there is any intent to deceive, merely to shorten listing time. Be well Brian

Archive
12-06-2003, 05:50 AM
Posted By: <b>Joel</b><p><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2769360162&category=31719" target=_new>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2769360162&category=31719</a><BR><BR>i just think it is a little shady to not use the ebay reserve feature. Without the ebay feature, the reserve can change when the wind blows in a different direction.

Archive
12-06-2003, 06:11 AM
Posted By: <b>Rob M</b><p>That is just standard verbage to cover them when they do have a reserve. They don't have a reserve on this one so the verbage is moot. I'm sure they will sell for whatever the final price is.

Archive
04-19-2004, 06:42 AM
Posted By: <b>theantmanltd</b><p>If the listing doesn't say " reserve not met " or " reserve met " there is no reserve !!!! we just use the same info for all our sales. all our cards are on at 9.99 or 4.99 if that is what they bring, that is what they sell for. If they bring more "YA WHO"!! Hope that clears it up.

Archive
04-19-2004, 07:37 AM
Posted By: <b>John(z28jd)</b><p>I can definitely vouch for the people over at the antique man,they are a top notch seller and the reserve quotes is exactly what they said it was.No deception involved,definitely not trying to be sneaky as some misinformed person mentioned above.<BR><BR><BR>They have a standard listing setup that they use for every auction,they just change a few words in the description so it goes with the card theyre selling.They list so many items that its not worth it(time-wise) to change it everytime they want to list something and not have a reserve.<BR><BR>The other thing is,besides providing great service on ebay,any time ive asked them a question theyve answered my question quickly and are always courteous,wouldnt it be more responsible to ask them first before trying to degrade on a public message board when you dont have all the facts