PDA

View Full Version : "Identifying, Dating and Authenticating Photos" Resource Page

Archive
03-23-2004, 11:54 AM
Posted By: <b>Cycleback</b><p>This is a note that I've started a new web resource concerning judging photographs from 1839 to 2004. The mini-site is linked at my site's main page. It's a work in progress, though I have most of the old photo stuff up.<BR><BR>What will be new (in more than one sense of the word), is I will be putting up guides for modern photographs. Just as with an 1880s cabinet card or 1905 real photo postcard, the collector can make sound judgements about the age and originality of a photograph whether its from 1960 or 1980. For example, if you have what was advertised as an original 1964 Kodak color photo of The Beettles and the back of the paper is plasticy instead of fibery like writing paper, you know it's a later reprint. This is because Kodak didn't introduce resin coated (gives the plastic feel) paper for its color photos until 1968 ... How 'Velox' or 'Agfa' is stamped on the back can tell from what period a black and white photo was made.<BR><BR>Lastly, throughout the boring chapters are a lot of little 'Quick Tips' which in and of themselves should be helpful .... For example, if you buy a baseball or football glass negative, you know it's old as glass negatives were largely discontinued in the 1920s. <BR><BR>Thanks<BR>David @ www.cycleback.com

Archive
03-23-2004, 12:23 PM
Posted By: <b>ramram</b><p>Should be a great aid for identification.