PDA

View Full Version : Doyle Variations Known Backs?

Archive
02-29-2004, 10:54 PM
Posted By: <b>TBob</b><p>Didn't I read somewhere where Larry Fritsch found one many years ago (supposedly) and began immediately paying way over book for any Doyle hands above head hoping he would uncover some more variations and that he (supposedly) found 6 or 7 more. As far as Olberman's, it was a fake unless he bought another one down the road since then. He was so upset with the one he bought originally that he dedicated a whole article in VCBC to it (as I recall). Wasn't it in VCBC that his article appeared?

Archive
02-29-2004, 10:59 PM
Posted By: <b>Marc S.</b><p>I heard similar stories about Fritsch, though I thought he only had two or three examples at one time, not six or seven. Again, I could be wrong.<BR><BR>It was in VCBC that Olbermann wrote an article suggesting "Never buy a graded card. Ever.", or something to that effect. However, it is my understanding that he has since acquired a Doyle variation, perhaps even one that is holdered. <BR><BR>Once you get to the big players in this set -- it would be very intriguing to see the bidding patterns of the last two examples to trade through Mastro. Interesting indeed that the PSA 3 in 2003 sells for $64,000 whereas the PSA 2 that sold in Oser in 2000 sold for over $178,000. It is clearly my belief that the latter was purchased by Olbermann, and, having acquired the Doyle he needed, a significant bidder was removed from the 2003 sale, thus resulting in the higher graded card selling for a fraction of the price!

Archive
03-01-2004, 07:39 AM
Posted By: <b>John(z28jd)</b><p>I have a story written by Larry Fritsch that states he found one in a large lot and it was the first one he had ever seen.He then took out an ad in a major magazine offering something like $2 for any Doyle,over head card(not listing the reason why he was looking for them).He didnt receive any more of the variation despite alot of people selling them to him.When one surfaced in an auction in 1987 he figured it was the only other one and he had to have the card,and he won it,paying $10,000 for it

Archive
03-01-2004, 07:46 AM
Posted By: <b>david</b><p>i believe charles conlon owns one also

Archive
03-01-2004, 12:24 PM
Posted By: <b>bimmy</b><p>i posted this before and recieved no response so im gonna post again with a different title name. what back or backs is the doyle variation known to have? thanks.

Archive
03-01-2004, 04:04 PM
Posted By: <b>angyale</b><p>I think the only know back for this variation is the Piedmont back. Not sure what series but guessing 150.<BR><BR>Eric

Archive
03-01-2004, 05:08 PM
Posted By: <b>Art M.</b><p>I believe all of the known T206 Doyle variations have a Piedmont 350 subjects back. I have seen 4 of these and each has a Piedmont 350 back.

Archive
03-01-2004, 05:11 PM
Posted By: <b>Marc S.</b><p>I believe the few Doyle NY Nat'l variations have a Piedmont 350 Series 25.<BR><BR>Do we know how many of these are actually known to exist? My understanding is that the following three people have one:<BR><BR>Larry Fritsch<BR>Keith Olberman<BR>Levi Bleam<BR><BR>Not sure where the others reside (or if Larry has more than one...)

Archive
03-02-2004, 07:50 AM
Posted By: <b>dan</b><p>My Doyle variation has a "Larry Fritsch Cards" back.