PDA

View Full Version : Need info on Churchman Ruths

Archive
02-04-2004, 10:29 AM
Posted By: <b>Glen V</b><p>Were Churchman card reprinted? Assuming they were, how can you tell. Are the originals on cardboard stock w/ grey borders or a thin white stock? Any other differences?

Archive
02-05-2004, 05:38 AM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>I have never seen any reprints of them but don't know for sure. They are kind of ugly (to me), and international, so I haven't really been too interested. Someday I will probably get one in a trade or something....regards

Archive
02-05-2004, 11:54 AM
Posted By: <b>Hankron</b><p>You never know what some might have done at home (invariably some paper print pasted to cardboard or or simply a sheet of paper, as few home printers can print on cardboard), but I concur with Leon in that I'm not aware of any mass or formal printing of the card.

Archive
02-05-2004, 12:02 PM
Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>The Churchman's boxing set was reprinted in the UK some years ago and is widely found sold as original. There are a number of other reprints of older card sets emanating from the UK, most notably N310 Mayo boxing cards. I'd be very leery of any expensive older cards from the UK. <BR><BR>All Churchman's cards I have seen from various sets in the 1930's are printed on white stock and are about the same dimensions and paper quality as T206 cards. <BR><BR>If you are interested in UK cards, you may want to try the Cartophilic Society of Great Britain for more info. They have a web site.

Archive
02-05-2004, 12:24 PM
Posted By: <b>Hankron</b><p>Thank you, Adam. Good to know.<BR><BR>However, collectors, realize that just as an 'old reprint' on eBay is something special and deserving of extra bidding over that common modern one, a 'foreign reprint' should also bring fetch high prices. No doubt, holding one of these reprints will bring a sense of foggy cobble streets, Basil Rathbone and Jean Shrimpton to your hayseed collection (I've almost confinced myself to buy one).