PDA

View Full Version : Broadway Rick is in the autograph business

Archive
12-16-2003, 07:59 PM
Posted By: <b>runscott&nbsp; </b><p>I'm betting it takes weeks to get this signature down. But I know Clay (bidder) is respected, so I guess it's real - just doesn't seem like Rick's MO to sell something legit:<BR><BR><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2772652699" target=_new>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2772652699</a>

Archive
12-17-2003, 03:22 AM
Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>The question is whether or not the buyer is being shilled. Also, did he spirit it away from a retiree, a la the Monte Irvin stuff.

Archive
12-25-2003, 08:17 AM
Posted By: <b>Harry</b><p>I am not saying that the autograph is real, but even thought he seller has a bad name for some things, he does come across his share of fresh collections.

Archive
12-25-2003, 01:09 PM
Posted By: <b>JC</b><p>This guy is border line scum artist (in my eyes). Ever since the 96 Nationals.. I have avoided him like the Bermuda triangle. Maybe cards under 10.00 you will be safe on...

Archive
12-25-2003, 01:21 PM
Posted By: <b>botn</b><p>My all time favorite was the St. Louis National. Ric was telling some of his buddies at his booth the story of a ball that he had just purchased. The ball was boldly signed by Ruth on the sweet spot with a faint Goose Goslin (I think it was) on one of the side panels. <BR><BR>Ric said, "I was doing this the ball (gestures to be lightly turning the ball in the palm of his hands) and the Goslin signature just fell off."<BR><BR>I turned to my partner at the time and we just looked at each other in disbelief. <BR><BR>I have never done business with the man since.<BR>

Archive
12-25-2003, 02:04 PM
Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>You wouldn't do business with him because he bought a ball with a fake signature?<BR><BR>

Archive
12-25-2003, 02:14 PM
Posted By: <b>Hankron</b><p>I don't understand the implication either.

Archive
12-25-2003, 02:27 PM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>signatures do not "fall off" unless the ball has been laquered. I have had several balls that were laquered and where the laquer came off, the signature almost completely disappeared along with the laquer. It seems that the stuff leaches the ink out of the ball.<BR><BR>Jay

Archive
12-25-2003, 02:47 PM
Posted By: <b>botn</b><p>Which is worth more?<BR><BR>a) A single signed Ruth ball boldly signed on the sweet spot.<BR><BR>b) A ball signed boldly by Ruth on the sweet spot with a faded Goslin signature on a side panel.<BR><BR>Autographs do not just "fall off" of baseballs. They have to be removed if they are going to disappear.

Archive
12-25-2003, 03:00 PM
Posted By: <b>Hankron</b><p>Understand. It's like the guy who had a Jackie Robinson autographed ball. He got it signed by Ted Williams, only to find out that that lowered the value of the ball, as single signed Robinson balls are especially rare and desirable.

Archive
12-25-2003, 04:49 PM
Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>...or the guy who had a ball signed by each of the "3 Stooges"...and then Shemp signed it...Doh!

Archive
12-25-2003, 05:58 PM
Posted By: <b>Hankron</b><p>... technically ... Shemp is a difficult signature as he died in the 1950s (Curly died first and is the most desirable).

Archive
02-02-2004, 12:51 AM
Posted By: <b>Joe</b><p>Would this poster please contact me.---Elliot