PDA

View Full Version : Napoleon Lajoie

Archive
01-30-2004, 03:41 PM
Posted By: <b>t-206collector</b><p>How do you pronounce his last name? I have seen/heard at least three different ways of pronouncing it: (1) La-zh'way; (2) Lay-o-way; and (3) La-Joy. I prefer the first, but hardly think that counts.<BR><BR>Similarly (because Nap is featured in the latter song), does anybody know of any other songs or poems like "Tinker-to-Evers-to-Chance" or "Gee, It's A Wonderful Game!" that actually mention pre-WWI players?<BR><BR>Thanks!

Archive
01-30-2004, 05:55 PM
Posted By: <b>slacks</b><p>I've heard (1) and (3) and even La-joe-way. I prefer "Larry."<BR><BR>Slightly OT, I think he was once intentionally walked with the bases loaded, though, and that's saying something...

Archive
01-30-2004, 06:19 PM
Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>You can order it from Amazon.com, and it's about 4 hrs of the tapes Ritter used to write the book in 1961. If you are into pre-wwi baseball, this is the first thing you will want. You can hear these old-timers pronouncing each others names when they tell stories.<BR><BR>Does anyone know of any similar items available? Or dvd's with pre-wwi film footage? Thanks

Archive
01-30-2004, 11:09 PM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>SABR is currently forming a committee for basbeball songs and poems. If you are on the 19c mailing list, you are seeing all the traffic. Some of it is also coming across the DEC list.<BR><BR>Jay

Archive
01-31-2004, 07:44 PM
Posted By: <b>dan mckee</b><p>#2 is a Kmart saying isn't it? I vote #1 since that was the popular way in the 1930s and I have a living reference.

Archive
02-01-2004, 05:12 AM
Posted By: <b>Julie</b><p>"Lazh-way" comes from tring to say "la joie" (2 syllables), and the mouth naturally falls into a "w" between the two halves.<BR><BR>Hey, don't forget "Slide, Kelly, Slide!" from the 19th century.