PDA

View Full Version : Good Proof, Bad Proof

Archive
01-27-2004, 01:56 PM
Posted By: <b>Hankron&nbsp; </b><p>I thought this would make it quick and simple:<BR><BR>Things to consider when judging the authenticity of proofs:<BR><BR>1) Be careful of funky mounts, with a regular Old Judge N173 being an example of a NOT funky mount<BR>2) Albumen paper was super thin. Thinner than even early 1900s paper. Compare yourself.<BR>3) Albumen paper often has a very fine web-pattern cracking in the image surface. Can often seen up close with naked eye, sometimes a normal around the house magnifying glass is needed. This cracking can sometimes appear in only parts of the image, sometimes not at all.<BR>4) Some album photos will have 'silvering' When held at varying angles, a silver shine will appear in the darkest areas of the image. Silvering does not appear on all albumen photos. Silvering can appear on eary 1900s non-albumen photos.<BR>5) Is it a real photograph, as opposed to a mechanical pring? If you don't know how to to this find out (Hint: dot pattern versus no dot pattern). Ovbisouly, there are many types of real photos, including the Kodak on your refrigerator-- but if it ain't a photo, it ain't an Old Judge.<BR>6) Get a microscope and learn what albumen prints look like under a microscope. Fakes will look different.<BR>7) Personal experience and knowledge. The more, the better. Your experience and knowledge is your responsibility, not mine, not eBay's, not George Bush's, not the monkey in the tree's.<BR>8) It was not common practice to apply varnish across the photo.<BR>9) Judging authenticity is a matter of looking at a variety of factors, including the 'overall picture.' Don't randomly pick #4 or #3 and say 'This proves mine is fake' or 'This proves mine is original.'<BR>10) I annually teach small classes in Seattle on photography (and prints), where you get to see and handle all sorts of stuff in person. In a relaxed setting, the whole point of the classes is to learn how to judge the authenticity of photographs (and prints). If you want to learn how to authenticate photoraphs, take the class(es). If you don't, don't.<BR>11) I have loads of guides on my website. If you have questions about this or that part, feel free to email me. I promise you that I will politely do my best to answer your question.<BR>12) If you don't refer to my website and ask any questions before buying an obvioiusly fake photograph, I reserve the right to call you a dumb****.<BR>13) Henry attends each class.<BR><BR>