PDA

View Full Version : A sort of Old Judge Proof essay

Archive
01-22-2004, 04:50 PM
Posted By: <b>Hankron&nbsp; </b><p>My computer is back in working order. Turns out the part was in Dallas-- Leon could have just walked over and picked it up.<BR><BR>As promised I've started an illustrated essay after the dubious Old Judge Proofs situtation ... The only problem is that the essay doesn't actually mention Old Judge Proofs (I'm such an airhead sometimes).<BR><BR>The essay (which has just started) is about the basics of authenticating albumen print photos. The Old Judges (big and small) are albumen, and the fakes are not. The Peck & Snyders, Four Base Bits, Gypsy Queens, 1863 Hoboken Ticket, SF Hess, Kalamazoo Bats, Joseph Hall Cabinets and many many other 19th century baseball items are albumen photos too .... It's an eleven page (as in web page) essay. I've finished the first 3 pages (few would read the whole 11 page thing at once anyway. Hell, I probably wouldn't read the whole thing in one sitting and I'm used to reading boring stuff).<BR><BR>I did not include specific reference to the Old Judge Proofs. It's not that I'm mean or anything, but writing essays and articles is hard (for everyone, of course) and I've written so much about baseball photos in my lifetime that I'm through writing about that particular subject unless there's a compelling reason (preferably of the green kind).<BR><BR><a href="http://www.cycleback.com/albumen" target=_new>http://www.cycleback.com/albumen</a>/<BR>

Archive
01-22-2004, 08:48 PM
Posted By: <b>Nickinvegas</b><p>David,<BR>Good work as usual, I hope you finish all 11 pages. <BR><BR>Coming from a guy who read all 23 pages of your "conceits"(although I will admit I had the help of a stunning 97' Merlot);I can assure you your work is read and respected.<BR><BR>Regards,<BR>Nick

Archive
01-22-2004, 10:05 PM
Posted By: <b>Hankron</b><p>One thing I've learned: just like ketchup, the liberal use of colorful pictures, can make most anything palatable ... And like many people, my definition of 'reading National Geographic' means looking at the pictures and perhaps reading some of the captions.

Archive
01-23-2004, 06:49 AM
Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>When I went to the National year before last, I was expecting a "science fiction convention" crowd, but overall it was a very normal group of people - in fact, more interesting and intelligent than normal people (whatever "normal" means). <BR><BR>I get the feeling that on the last night of an auction (Mastro, etc.) many of us open a nice bottle of red wine, put on a good movie, and settle in comfortably, while the refractor pack crowd is scouring ebay and chain-drinking Coca-colas...not that there's anything wrong with that. <BR><BR>I skipped last year, but look forward to seeing most of you at this year's National.

Archive
01-23-2004, 06:50 AM
Posted By: <b>Julie Vognar</b><p>What on earth made you think it was boring?

Archive
01-24-2004, 09:20 AM
Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>Sorry. Watched "Tombstone" again last night. <BR><BR>The Mistake By The Lake; I'm there this year. I'm already saving my pennies and getting my DVD player ready for the plane ride.