PDA

View Full Version : grading autographed cards

Archive
01-17-2004, 11:17 AM
Posted By: <b>warshawlaw&nbsp; </b><p>Not sure if I brought this up before, but a recent string reminded me that PSA/DNA is grading autographed cards. Here are my talking points: <BR><BR>I know what we all think of PSA's efforts lately w/r/t cards, but what about PSA/DNA's certifications on autographs? Are these still considered solid? <BR><BR>PSA is grading the card and authenticating the autograph (my 1984 Walter Payton came back a PSA 6 and authenticated). Do you approve of grading an autographed card as though the signature was not there and certifying the autograph, or do you prefer to see the card deemed the card authentic and the autograph authentic and encapsulated it that way? <BR><BR>Does SGC, SCD, GAI, etc., offer this service and if not, would you like to see it in some form? If anyone from those companies is lurking, howzaboutit?<BR><BR>The reason I am asking is that I have a nice little collection of autographed cards of Jewish athletes that I'd ultimately like to encapsulate for display purposes. I don't want to spend the $20 a card to do it, though, if the results aren't going to measure up over the long run.

Archive
01-17-2004, 11:41 AM
Posted By: <b>Rob L</b><p>I'm actually curious how the whole grading of the card by PSA actually works. They seem to certify that the autograph is authentic but I don't believe that PSA/DNA issues and LOA with it. I wonder if the cards are actually sent to James Spence or if it is authenticated through a visual observation over the net.<BR><BR>As a sidenote:<BR><BR>I did contact PSA/DNA regarding the LOAs for auction lots with multiple items. Because of the sheer volume in these lots, a cheaper price is charged and the LOA is a blanket letter usually with no photos. I didn't get an answer from them whether all items are marked. This is a great way for some to provide fake autographs and provide a copy of these general LOAs. Watch out!!

Archive
01-17-2004, 12:04 PM
Posted By: <b>Hankron</b><p>Both PSA/DNA and GAI encapsulate (grade and authenticate) autographed cards, and both are worthwhile services (I'm talking about the authentication of the signature). Mike Gutierrez is one of the authenticators for GAI and he's a top dog. And Spence and Steve Grad for PSA/DNA are top notch.<BR><BR>From what I understand, for PSA/DNA the authentication of the signature and the grading of the card are usually done in two different places.<BR><BR>I once asked Spence and he said that, at the time at least, for MastroNet lots that PSA/DNA authenticates, the items do nnot have the 'official' PSA/DNA LOA or DNA marking. For a fee (naturally), LOA's and markings for individual items in a large lot would have to be obtained later. The LOA you receive from MastroNet (and signed by PSA/DNA) is perfectly valid and useful, but you have to go to an extra effort and cost to get individual LOAs ... I beleive that if a PSA/DNA item has that little square & serial numbered PSA/DNA tag that the item does have the DNA marking.<BR><BR>For Mike Gutierrez' personal auctions, you get a single LOA w/ DNA for the entire lot and there is a (I think) $30 fee per extra LOA-- meaning if you won 4 autographed baseballs and wanted an LOA for each item. I'm not exactly sure how the GAI DNA markings work for MastroNet auctions, as I haven't asked.<BR><BR>If someone had a special autographed card, I think getting it entombed by PSA/DNA or GAI would be worthwhile (I didn't say neccesary). PSA/DNA's $20 fee helps decides which cards would be autographed, or not be autographed.<BR>

Archive
01-17-2004, 12:06 PM
Posted By: <b>Hankron</b><p>And for those on both sides of the Mason-Dixon line, duly note that I just said positive things about both PSA and GAI.

Archive
01-17-2004, 02:09 PM
Posted By: <b>Tom Boblitt</b><p>of a huge collection I bought last fall. While not an expert, I've seen a LOT of autographs of HOFers and have had some nice bats and balls over the years. I felt the Ott was a good signature albeit in pencil on the front of the card. Was clean and had the characteristics of an Ott signature. My friend collects autographed cards and has 30-40 Goudeys and wanted the card. Sold it to him for a decent price and he attempted to get it graded by GAI who would not grade the card. I assume due to authenticity concerns. He then gave it to PSA/DNA and it was graded and encapsulated as authentic. Looks GREAT.<BR><BR>I think from what I've seen in print or heard that the cards for PSA/DNA are sent to Spence in PA, authenticated and then sent back to CA for encapsulation. That's a slow process but it makes sense because if the signature can't be authenticated, it's basically no better than someone altering a card with color or pen/pencil, so it really shouldn't be encapsulated either. <BR><BR>From what I've seen PSA/DNA does a good job. I didn't relate the GAI info to downgrade them, just to give the story. I think GAI does a nice job in grading cards. I think they may be trying to expand a little rapidly and move QUICKLY into other areas.....waxpacks.....cigarette packs.....waxboxes.....T3's......rackpacks.....aut ographs that might cause some 'growing pains' that PSA experiences on the vintage cards ends with bad things being encapsulated or other things rejected. <BR><BR>JMO..........<BR><BR><BR>

Archive
01-17-2004, 04:28 PM
Posted By: <b>Peter Thomas</b><p>I had several cards done @ the Orlando show last weekend. The auto's were reviewed first and then they were graded and encapuslated. At the show the charge for this was $25 and turn arround was about 3 hours. Most of the cards were 40 playballs and they all looked great, including a VG Williams with what they told me was a pre war signature.

Archive
01-18-2004, 09:58 AM
Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>I had the aforementioned Payton and a 1951 Topps Kluszewski auto'd card done at a show in LA. Steve Grad was there. He was able to authenticate the sigs on site--they are not that rare, I guess--and applied the DNA marking to the cards then and there (freaked me out, BTW, when he looked at the cards then flipped them over and marked on them, without telling me what he was doing). They then went to PSA for grading and encapsulation. No LOA, but the cards are encapsulated with the PSA/DNA authentication on the holder and the DNA marking on the back of each card. A third card that he could not authenticate on the spot was sent to PSA. It went through the regular process (I presume) and was returned unencapsulated because they could not authenticate it. <BR><BR>I expect that I will end up sending in a number of the cards to get them done.