PDA

View Full Version : E121 "Babe" Ruth holding bird

Archive
01-11-2004, 06:58 AM
Posted By: <b>Tom B.&nbsp; </b><p>I don't know if this is the correct forum, and let me know if it's not, but I'm a frequent reader/collector who would appreciate any insights that might help in my decision.<BR><BR>At a non-card antique show this weekend I came across a dealer with the above-mentioned card (ungraded). The card measures fine, with a very-slight bashed bottom edge, a minor one-eighth inch tear along the top edge, not-too-rounded corners, no creases and well-centered, and slight uniform paper loss across the entire back of the card which doesn't detract from the readability of the text: "Card is 1 of 120...". <BR><BR>I feel that the card would grade a GOOD, though maybe less because of the back damage, which I may have overstated. The guy is asking $750 for the card and he's offering it to me for $615. SCD has it for $695 in VG, so it may be a tad high at $615. I'm not sure how the card would be priced in a sportscard show, and I can pretty much count on it being there tomorrow, so I was wondering whether I should go for it. I know that you'd have to see the card, and that personal preferences on condition vary among collectors, but does anyone have an opinion on whether it's a good deal (reasonably priced) or not (way out of whack)? As far as Babe Ruth cards, how do the caramel varieties fare in terms of desirability in the market? <BR><BR>Thanks!! in advance for your thoughts/considerations/advice. Keep up the good threads.

Archive
01-11-2004, 07:46 AM
Posted By: <b>Jason</b><p>Realistically based upon what you have described $300-400 range would be a much fairer price.

Archive
01-12-2004, 01:08 PM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>That is a cool card but the condition problems you mention will probably kill the value. I think the SCD might be a little low on the real market value, but pretty close. Depending on the back damage, and how big the tear is, $615 sounds like a little too much...good luck

Archive
01-12-2004, 01:46 PM
Posted By: <b>shammus</b><p>I would pass on this altogether. I'd have a hard time calling a card with back damage and a tear higher than "fair". Personally, I would be patient and wait for a nicer one to come along. This card shows up on Ebay semi-regularly. I'm thinking $3-4 hundred would get you a much nicer one from one of their auctions. $615 is way too much for one in that condition. Hope this helps. good luck!

Archive
01-13-2004, 01:21 PM
Posted By: <b>John Wojak</b><p>Out of the four e121 Ruth poses (pitching, set of 80, holding ball, set of 120, photo montage, set of 120, and holding bird, set of 120), the "holding bird" card seems to draw the least collector interest and lowest prices. I guess the picture is just a little too weird for a lot of collectors. When they appear on ebay, a decent looking G/VG card can generally be had for about $600-700, so the card you are looking at really shouldn't go for more than about $400 tops.