PDA

View Full Version : Any News from Orlando?

Archive
01-09-2004, 05:57 PM
Posted By: <b>Donald Johnson</b><p>Anyone down there or have any reports on the show?

Archive
01-09-2004, 08:20 PM
Posted By: <b>Peter Thomas</b><p>My son and I are going to the show have not been to one since St. Louis National. Don't know what too expect, but its only 2 hours from here will report.

Archive
01-12-2004, 07:47 AM
Posted By: <b>Peter Thomas</b><p>We got back from show last night - no need to stay for last day. Show was short on vintage material almost no ungraded material. This was the first "super show" and I'm not sure if there will be a second. Auction houses were there, as well as PSA, GAI and Beckett; but no SGC even though they were listed as confirmed and I needed some boxes.<BR><BR>I wish I had looked to see who was signing autographs, I could have brought my 57 Topps and 61 Fleer basketball and got half of the Celtics. I tried to find any of these cards at the show, but there was not a single one. Al Kaline was there and after talking with PSA about some grading and holder issues my son asked Joe Orlando about geting a Kaline auto on a 54 Topps that was in a holder. Joe said that they would crack it open so it could be autographed and then reholder and certify it for $25, which they did with a very nice 5 we bought from 707 sportscards - thanks Levi. This was a very nice service.<BR><BR>I had heard that Joe Orlando was working hard on many of the PSA problems that many on the board complain about. After meeting and talking with him at the show I am convinced that he is and will make progress. The issues that I had most concern with were grading inconsistancies around centering and marks, floating cards and "authentic cards. I had 2 Ramlys O/C's that I was sure should not be and after talking with Joe and graders, reviewing the cards all agreed that they should not be. Scott B that means I have an upgrade Knight along with Ganley coming your way. When you have a chance to take your Plank to a show where they are grading you should have no trouble getting it into a 7 holder. Bring the numbers that I sent you. Scott the E107 Dougherty I got from you is in a 2 holder and looks great. I brought 30 ramly dups that were in floating holders and all but 2 are now in snug holders and look great, the other two are oversized, but are in holders just a bit too big and look ok - no charge for this. I brought and bunch of autographed 40 Playballs including Williams, DiMaggio, Stengel and Gehringer and got them graded and certified for $25 each some graded as high as 7 and some were labled authentic - very nice service. I sent in from the show 65 E cards for grading/authentication. Joe says that they will make every effort possible to get them back in snug holders. We will see how that goes, these are @ $10 per card. I think I will only submitt cards @ shows for safety from now on - you get a signed reciept for the cards. I guess that will mean going to two shows each year; The National and one other, based on suggestions at this show maybe rotate Ft Washington, Boston and San Fran - any thoughts?<BR><BR>Oh yes the cards - the Kaline for Auto, a very nice E97 Sullivan Boston that I got graded PSA 4 on site, a T201 Speaker SGC 84, a 48 Leaf Paige PSA 4, 2 Boston CJ 6&7, T206 Smith Chicago/Boston PSA 2, and a couple of 48 Leaf SP upgrades.<BR><BR>Regards from Florida where it was 39 this morning.<BR><BR>

Archive
01-13-2004, 12:04 PM
Posted By: <b>Jay Miller</b><p>Peter--Sounds like you had a great show. My experience with PSA is that if you see any inconsistencies in their grades they will rectify these (or explain the problem) at a show where they do on-site grading. I have always found them to be very helpful in this regard. <BR>Just for your info, at the next Ft Washington show(March) PSA will not do on-site grading. They apparently will only do this at two of the four Philadelphia shows each year.