PDA

View Full Version : Baseball History: dvd's and cd's

Archive
12-17-2003, 02:26 PM
Posted By: <b>runscott&nbsp; </b><p>I'm about to purchase Ken Burn's "Baseball", already have the cd set of "The Glory of Their Times". These two items are fantastic.<BR><BR>Any other baseball history dvd's or cd's anyone could recommend? I'm especially interested in anything with pre-wwI film footage

Archive
12-17-2003, 04:13 PM
Posted By: <b>Nickinvegas</b><p>It is not pre-war but the three disk set of "When it was a game" is a great collection of 1950 & 60's 8mm tapes. You are sure to enjoy it.<BR><BR>Nick

Archive
12-22-2003, 12:15 PM
Posted By: <b>Harry</b><p>The Ken Burns series is very good. It has its share of mistakes, but overall it is the only pre war video that I know of.

Archive
12-22-2003, 12:31 PM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>I am curious as to what mistakes you are refering to. I haven't seen it since its original airing on PBS, but I do know that he worked closely with SABR on this project to make sure that it was accurate as possible.<BR><BR>Jay

Archive
12-22-2003, 05:28 PM
Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>I taped all "innings" except one and two, and they were really, really good. I have since been told that the pre-wwI stuff is mostly stills, which doesn't excite me. <BR><BR>As far as any help Burns got from SABR, I know very little about SABR except they have issued some interesting publications that you can buy cheap on ebay every now and then. Jay has tempted me several times to visit their web-site - each time I've been turned away by the $50 membership and uncertainly as to what that really gives me - not that it isn't worth it, they just haven't sold me. In any case, here's their web-site so that you can come to your own conclusions:<BR><BR><a href="http://www.sabr.org/sabr.cfm?m=34" target=_new>http://www.sabr.org/sabr.cfm?m=34</a>

Archive
12-24-2003, 06:25 PM
Posted By: <b>Harry</b><p>It has been a long time since I have viewed the videos, but I do remember watching all of the tapes and noticing several historical mistakes that they made- especially in the early chapters. One that stands out in my mind was Cummings' discovery of the curve ball which is generally considered bogus. If I have time over my Xmas vacation, I will pop in a video and see what else stands out to me.

Archive
12-25-2003, 12:51 AM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>The reference to Cummings may ahve been as to why he was in the HOF. Not sure if at the point in time it was agreed that Cummings did not invent the curve ball, but that is the reason he is in that hall.<BR><BR>When you rewatch the program you need to also remember that changes may have occured since it's production that were not known at the time.<BR><BR>Jay